• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanna know what life with a (grown) Hahn's is like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yikes and yeow!! :eek: Did you yell out?:p Or did you take it like a trooper!:lol:
I grunted, backed away, and headed for the door so I wouldn't start cursing at him. :D That initial wave of anger that washes over you is the trickiest thing to deal with. But, Zoe has pinched me far worse than this, so it wasn't that big a deal pain-wise. What it was, IMO, was typical Hahn's behavior.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Ouch! I wish Jasper would just pinch. He either gives me a warning squeal or I get nailed good. He must feel if there isn't the breaking of skin involved then it is not worth it :eek: :D

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Little stinker!
Couldn't even be deterred by sunflower seeds?! That's one determined little bugger :eek:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I want to see a mini in person some day - the thought of a macaw that size tickles me. :D Nice to see that they have the macaw pinch down pat. :cool:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to see a mini in person some day - the thought of a macaw that size tickles me. :D Nice to see that they have the macaw pinch down pat. :cool:
Careful, Ziggymon, you may fall in love :heart: :D For me, there's nothing more charming. They're dollhouse-sized, perfect little miniatures with high voices and the same big attitude, only teeny-tiny and on speed. :lol: Just looking at them puts a smile on my face every day. They're really fragile little things, though, feisty as they are. I learned that the hard way... Since I lost my baby girl, I guard mine like they're made of porcelain.

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Ouch! Surprised it didn't bleed though with their needle beak.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Yes, I think they would make me constantly nervous, in this menagerie of a household of mine. Heck, my 'zons seem small and fragile to me!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Ouch...the only time Gizmo will bite is if she wants to step up after falling off her cage but you won't give her a different body part (she's afraid of hands)...she gets upset and will bite. She's my little neurotic birdie...I hope someday to see her with a Hahn's personality. And yes envision this older gal prone on the floor as if in prayer waiting for the little bird to run over and pick a body part - prefers close to the elbow. Would love to see video of your guys???

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Most of the people at the rescue are afraid of our little Hahns (I think I've shown you a video). After I get him away from his cage he is very sweet. He even gives me kisses on my lips, though he has nipped them before. :lol:He preens my neck very gently and can be so sweet. He is a little devil bird around his cage and in his room though. He also attacks other birds, especially Molluccans because they have the most reaction. :eek: I have to have him out basically by himself and bring him into the play room so he isn't around any other birds.

wings

Sitting on the front steps
I must have the most atypical Hahns there is. If she's displeased with something, she will squawk a little bit and put her beak on me with no pressure. Then we'll have a conversation where she just looks at me when I tell her I didn't mean to scare her or be mean to her. I'm teaching her to play with toys, as she seems to just sit if I don't push it. I want her to learn to play when I'm at work. She also hardly makes any noise. She says hello, peek-a-boo, and either wings up or step up, and a huuuh sound frequently but she doesn't make bird calls in the AM or PM. The greencheek I owned was much louder and vocal. Holly (Hahns) was always the quietest bird in the parrot shop, even when the others were stirred up. She flaps her wings and sways on the top of her playstand sometimes, silently, as if saying "Look at me, Mom". I keep waiting for the dynamo Hahns to show up, but I'm happy with her just the way she is.

Sorry for your injury, Holiday. I know that beak is capable of bruising and hurting. Not looking forward to hormones.

Last edited:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I must have the most atypical Hahns there is. If she's displeased with something, she will squawk a little bit and put her beak on me with no pressure. Then we'll have a conversation where she just looks at me when I tell her I didn't mean to scare her or be mean to her. I'm teaching her to play with toys, as she seems to just sit if I don't push it. I want her to learn to play when I'm at work. She also hardly makes any noise. She says hello, peek-a-boo, and either wings up or step up, and a huuuh sound frequently but she doesn't make bird calls in the AM or PM. The greencheek I owned was much louder and vocal. Holly (Hahns) was always the quietest bird in the parrot shop, even when the others were stirred up. She flaps her wings and sways on the top of her playstand sometimes, silently, as if saying "Look at me, Mom". I keep waiting for the dynamo Hahns to show up, but I'm happy with her just the way she is.

Sorry for your injury, Holiday. I know that beak is capable of bruising and hurting. Not looking forward to hormones.
Your girlie sounds like an angel. My boys are a bit more of a handful :huh:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I feel your pain, seriously, I. Feel. Your. Pain. This is why Aubrey only gets air kisses. You must respect the Hahn's beak; I fear it the most out of all my birds. :o:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouchies,sorry he got you.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
These little guys have it all, a sharp needle bite and and they are cute too?!! ;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are Sonny and Max big wood chewers? I'm curious because when I first brought Mabel home her beak was overgrown pointy and had a VERY sharp tip. I know this was mostly due to lack of wood chewing opportunities and a not so great diet.

Now her beaks is extremely strong and powerful but does not feel sharp to the touch at all. She's a voracious wood chewer.:D Do Hahns macaws have sharp tips in general?

Last edited:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Are Sonny and Max big wood chewers? I'm curious because when I first brought Mabel home her beak was overgrown pointy and had a VERY sharp tip. I know this was mostly due to lack of wood chewing opportunities and a not so great diet.

Now her beaks is extremely strong and powerful but does not feel sharp to the touch at all. She's a voracious wood chewer.:D Do Hahns macaws have sharp tips in general?
Yes Hahn's have very sharp beaks that look like they are overgrown. Very normal :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Is Sonny a big wood chewer?!?!?! :huh: Why, Saemma, have you ever read my posts about Sonny? :cool1: He has chewed up every wooden toy I have given him. He has chewed up my walls, my ceiling, my bookshelves. He has chewed my house down. He has chewed my neighbors' houses down. He has chewed down the state forest and the national forest. He has chewed down the trees in heaven and hell. He has chewed all the wood that ever was and all the wood that ever will be. He has chewed up the abstract concept of wood.

I hope this clears up the matter. :cool: :D

And, no, Max isn't a very big wood chewer--he prefers paper, straw, and leather, generally. And, yes, as Heather said, all Hahn's beaks are pointy and sharp. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg::rofl: Max is a quasi` feathered termite!! OH

yes!! I do remember now all those threads. Not sure how I could have forgotten?:huh:

I actually remember saying.. Man oh Man, Ms. Holiday must really adore those hahnsies to just allow them to do that to her home and still chuckle and grin about it.:p:eek::p

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Man oh Man, Ms. Holiday must really adore those hahnsies to just allow them to do that to her home and still chuckle and grin about it.:p:eek::p
Yes :D I am completely crazy about them, and my family thinks I'm nuts. My father can't even bear to hear the subject of the damage to my home discussed. He just shakes his head :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.