• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wall Murals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
So, I was looking into Wall Murals to just sticker natural scenery to the wall, but with the space it'd be covering, it'd take around $2.8k to get the whole room done...

Does anyone know where to find these cheaper or other fume free ways of decorating an entire wall surface?

I'd like to do the murals at some point, but, right now, I wouldn't be able to afford that until June or later

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Have you seen the tree and bird outline stickers that go on walls? They are a lot more affordable and still add a pattern to the wall instead of a large mural. I think a few people around here have them.

JackieRTP

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jackie
I was going to mention what TextsfromParrots said. Also, I have seen some people hang scenic fabric from a wall which looked good as well.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Have you seen the tree and bird outline stickers that go on walls? They are a lot more affordable and still add a pattern to the wall instead of a large mural. I think a few people around here have them.
I'll have to look into that! Also, I liked your Facebook page and had no idea it was you!

I was going to mention what TextsfromParrots said. Also, I have seen some people hang scenic fabric from a wall which looked good as well.
That sounds great, too! Would nails be a good way to keep the sheets in place?

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I'm talking something that covers the WHOLE wall, not just a portion like a poster or stickers. I'm inquiring if there's maybe whole wall stickers with a print on them instead of going with expensive vinyl wall fittings.

Don't get me wrong, I want to do the murals 'cause I love their high definition and it's one way to protect my walls AND decorate them, but, as I said, I couldn't afford them until June or July and I'm not entirely sure I want to fit them to the room they currently have since this home isn't permanent. When we save enough, we intend to buy a small farm, so yeah... I can't imagine spending 2.8k for ONE room I may not even be using for a YEAR, you know? My contract runs out in July, and, at that point, it's the landlord's decision whether I can renew or not.

I'm thinking a bunch of sheets will be my best bet. Fabric isn't necessarily cheap, but it's cheaper than $700 murals(per wall), and large stickers(but no where near large enough) $40+ each.

I just... don't want to see any white. I detest white walls. I grew up in a room that was pure white and it drove me bonkers.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How about asking the landlord if you can paint a pretty green or blue or something pleasant?

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
How about asking the landlord if you can paint a pretty green or blue or something pleasant?
Paint is a no no, though. Remember, fumes? I'm looking for fume free options. I was thinking wall paper but the glue used to put them up also causes harmful fumes.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There are paints without fumes. It's called low VOC,{volatile organic compounds} and sometimes is used in baby nurseries. People have painted with birds present, but my preference would be that they are at least in another closed room while each one is painted. There is also milk paint which has no VOC.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You could always take them somewhere while it is painted then aired out. A friend, a pet sitter, a vet, there are ways if you really want to do this.;)

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
There are paints without fumes. It's called low VOC,{volatile organic compounds} and sometimes is used in baby nurseries. People have painted with birds present, but my preference would be that they are at least in another closed room while each one is painted. There is also milk paint which has no VOC.
We found some No VOC paint at Walmart! :D Now if only they'd fix their paint mixer, I'd already have the room painted... Our Walmart around here is kinda 'ghetto'. It was an amazing place until they rearranged the entire store and removed a bunch of stuff. Now it just feels like a giant gas station store.

I'd leave them at a vet if the only avian vet weren't an hour and a half away and one that I don't like. Dr. Von in Louisville, KY. I wouldn't trust my babies in the hands of a vet that knew nothing about them. I also wouldn't trust them in the hands of Dr. Von unless it was an emergency, but there's also one in Ohio about the same distance away, I just don't have personal experience with them.

Why do I hate Dr. Von? Because he supports the way Most Valuable Pets, the pet store I used to work for, treats their birds, wing clipping, forced weaning, etc. He clings onto the OLD way of raising and treating birds. Treating them as BIRDS and not valued members of the FAMILY. To me, birds are just like us, though a little more complex simply because there's so much more we need to learn about them... So much that we -don't- know about them at this time. Dr. Von sees them as birds, not people. Just. Birds. Nothing more.

At any rate, they only place that boards birds around here, that has extensive experience with them, is Most Valuable Pets, and I wouldn't leave my babies with them if my life depended on it... They'd be locked in a cage all day with no time out... Yes, this is seriously how they treat their boarding animals and also how they treat their other birds if they're misbehaving. They have one chance, and if they blow it, they spend ALL DAY locked in their cage, often with no toys to even stimulate their minds..

Once again, going off topic... The only other person I'd trust with my babies is Alyx(BirdsNChins), and I know Kariba is already a handful! I'd trust my parents, but they don't know a single thing about the larger parrots, don't have the time for them, and my mother sprays fragrances in the house, flea killers, etc. I never take my birds over there, just to make sure none of that hurts them. Ha, I really need to find more bird people around the area. :hehe:

Anywho, the no VOC paint sounds awesome! I'll just move them elsewhere in the house while I paint.~ Thanks!

Edit: I'd leave them in the room if I didn't know Nir the way I do. She'd HAVE to come over and make a mess of things. :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.