• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wakey wakey...

jackih

Moving in
Real Name
Jacki
Hi, I'm Clover the CWP's other parent! We've only had our bird, a little canary wing parakeet, for a few weeks and he's only 12 weeks old.

This might be a dumb question, but how do you know when it's time to get up in the morning? We cover the cage at night and I usually wait until I've heard some "bird sounds" like shuffling, wing flapping, movement, etc before I open the cover. This morning around 6:30 (I'm up with the dog) I heard some shuffling and beak grinding sounds, so I went to take a peek and the hackles went up, so I closed the cover and it was quiet for a while and I've heard beak grinding every once in a while for the last hour.

I do wait at least 10 hours, I know they need around 12 hours of sleep. He went to bed around 8 last night. One time he actually squawked, so I knew he was ready! But he's usually pretty quiet.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If he's up and ready to be uncovered, he'll let ya know. Sounds like a cutie!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I've heard They do need 12 hours too. But I think naps would count towards that. My guys take naps so as long as your guys do too, and they are not showing signs they are sleep deprived I think you're good :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds get up at the crack of dawn and start to roost at dusk. That bird is up way before you (if it's already daylight).

jackih

Moving in
Real Name
Jacki
It's kind of hard to see daylight here sometimes, we're in a forest that shades a lot of our place. I know the outdoor birds are up chirping before 5 am and are still making noise until 10 pm now that it's summertime. We get about 16 hours of daylight in the summer and only 8 hours of night, but I guess I'd expect a bird that is originally from a more equatorial region would be expecting closer to 12 hours of each? Conversely in the winter it's only 8 hours of daylight, which I know isn't enough, so we do have a full spectrum light as well.

Last edited:

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I did an "experiment" today. I got up at 7:30 (sleeping late on the weekends! Yah!) got the veggies and fruit ready, got a cup of coffee and sat in my spot by the bird cage. It was an hour before I heard any stirrings. I waited 15 more minutes and didn't hear anything, couldn't stand it anymore :p and uncovered him.
There he was, sitting on his sleep perch looking at me. So I put in the fresh fruit and veggies and we went about our normal morning routine.

I kind of think (right now anyway) that as long as he goes to bed and gets his 10-12 hrs, we'll uncover him so we can get some time in with him before work and get him fed and watered etc.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sleep time is a bit scrambled in the summer...sunrise here is 5:40 AM and sundown 9:00 PM...so now only 8 hour, 40 minutes of darkness. We still cover the birds up to achieve 12 hours of "rest time"...but it's difficult for them to settle down because there's so much daylight for a longer time.

That being said, Milton starts with his "hello...hello...hello" about 5:30 in the morning. As long as he doesn't get a response from us, he usually settles down after a few calls...