• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wagler's

crazyanimal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I think the red fronted/waglers/scarlet fronts are all the same bird. Cliffy in your signature is a mitred as well. Unless he was a baby in the siggy pic.

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Ya he was a baby in that picture. He had a whole head of red before he passed.

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
I don't think anyone else has a RFC here, but this forum is new and we only have a few hundred members so far. Your bird is absolutely stunning! :eek:
Hey what about me!

I think the red fronted/waglers/scarlet fronts are all the same bird.
There are three sub species of the red fronted conures; Carriker's conure, Peter's conure and Scarlet fronted conure. Jacob is a Scarlet fronted conure :)

http://www.avianweb.com/redfrontedconure.html

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen

Georgie could be a Scarlet or a Carriker's, the only difference is size. How big is Georgie?
He's way smaller than a Mitred, bigger than the dusky, smaller than a blue-crown. He's a medium sized bird. Should I measure him feet to head? I could take a pic of him next to a ruler! Ya!

Jacob

Real Name
Herdis
then he is probably a Carriker's :)

Cliffy4ever

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Ya think so? There's not much information on him before he was adopted. It's ok with me. It's fun to research and learn about the red heads. I'll now look up the Carriker's!

Suchabetty

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jamie
I am sensing that the waglers/red fronted conure is rare as i have not seen many around. They are gorgeous, i just love their eyes so beautiful! :heart: There still isnt much info about them, anyone know of some new updated sites i might be able to do some researc on?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I am sensing that the waglers/red fronted conure is rare as i have not seen many around. They are gorgeous, i just love their eyes so beautiful! :heart: There still isnt much info about them, anyone know of some new updated sites i might be able to do some researc on?
Waglers (and Finsch's - the "smaller" version of a Wagler's) are often mistaken for Mitreds or Cherry Heads, and may be hybridized with those species because people couldn't tell... heck, Nelson & Gang, who posted on page 1, post #8 said "gorgeous cherry head" and babycakes, page 2 post #12, said their "red headed conure" (cherry head) looks just like Ruby! Further on page two you can see the confusion between the species.

Within the past year I've seen two Waglers for rehoming... the first person was told that his waglers was a mitred, but he agreed with me on the species ID. Here's the second one...
Hoobly: Red fronted conure- sexed male,-hatching certificate - about one year old

And a breeder of them... although the info on website is rather lacking....
Hoobly: hand fed baby red fronted conures! we deliver for free up to 2 hours one way and Also ship through delta! / Wisconsin Parrots Home