• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Vomitting or reguriate?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think Henkie was just vomittig. He sat on my shoulder and I was talking to Fëanor. Suddenly something wet hit my face and Henkie Made a weird sound. I thought he sneezed and a white/transparant like substance was on his face too. Then he did it again but it was vomitting or reguriating, but looked nothing like reguriating. For looked frantic and he rarely actually reguriates seeds and this time he was not ‘fed up’ or anything. He flew off and did it two more times. Part of what he brought up fell onto a toy and is not really visible as it was just liquid. I have a picture of two parts with seeds and pellets in it. 8663E203-4236-4A1D-8579-EE96F5C6D843.jpeg 1763468D-DD57-43DF-8FE4-CBA5240A734C.jpeg Two videos:
He rarely wipes his beak like that after reguriating. He is normal now, and wasn’t different today. Still I am pretty upset, should I bring him in to the vet?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He brought up a little bit of clear liquid again and pooped. Of course he had to poop on the back of the rabbit cage, so not a clear pic but here it is:
image.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yeah it looks a little different from regurgitating to me.Maybe he is just kind of choked on something...if it doesn’t stop shortly - vet.
:sadhug2:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yeah it looks a little different from regurgitating to me.Maybe he is just kind of choked on something...if it doesn’t stop shortly - vet.
:sadhug2:
Okay thank you so much. He is walking around now and nothing seems wrong. Still I am going to prepare a travel cage for him.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes, if he does this again I would do a vet visit. Bringing up undigested food as in the photo can be a problem.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
If he continues to do the second video take him to the vet. Now the first one he is feeding a toy.... Gracie does this when she gets amorous. Yeah real crowd charmer there for ya.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If they bring up food it will always be undigested. ;)

Most often, regurgitating is an up and down motion and anything expelled will land in a pile in front of them or stay in their beak to be re eaten.
Vomiting is usually a quick side to side head flick that sends the contents flying everywhere. You will see food on walls and ceilings, more than just one area.
In obviously ill birds, I have seen them vomit by making a regurgitation motion and lean very far forward to allow everything to just spill out, this is still followed by the head flick to remove anything left in the mouth. The latter being birds that are quite lethargic and you know already that they are not well.

Looks like regurgitation to me. Keep an eye on her today.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, it looks like regurgitation to me, too. Vomiting is much more violent and the substance goes all over the place. This does not mean that the regurgitation does not mean that something is wrong.

keep an eye on her for other symptoms, such as lethargy and bad poops.

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Oh no poor Henkie!! Whatever it is, I hope he's ok! Maybe Vet just in case, even if just for peace of mind :sadhug2:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That's what my birds look like when they feed eachother, but if this is abnormal behavior for him, it's always better to be safe than sorry.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you all very much for the input!!:hug8:
The first video was taken right after he flew away on the second one. There it does look more like reguriating, but it is not how he normally reguriates. The first two times he did it(seconds apart), he did the head shake and what he rought up, part liquid and part food, got flung around and it was on his head. He did that again right after I posted this thread. All of that happened in about 5 minutes.
He has been cuddling on my shoulder for a great chunk of time, but also played, foraged and ate a bit. I tried to catch where he pooped but only succeeded again now. It is a bit big because he was sitting on me and then he usually holds it and poops when he flies off. It looks normal. No more out of context reguriating or vomitting, he only did his regular reguriating on his rope. I took him for a hot shower to let him soak up the steam and he was practicing all kinds of sounds. He has been doing that again lately, he rarely did that after my cockatiel(his friend) died about 1,5 year ago. He even did Some of the calls he used to do. He is now munching on Some sprouts. His weight is also perfect, 60 grams like always. I think I Will take him for a checkup anyway, it just doesn’t sit right. A21C8A9A-BB8C-455B-8C81-630BE7DAA558.jpeg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Go with your gut. If you feel something is off then best to take Henkie to the vet. Hope everything will be OK.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Aww, Henkie, don’t scare your momma and all of us here on AA! I have no idea what it could be, but sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way. :hug8: Get better Henkie! :rflb:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Go with your gut. If you feel something is off then best to take Henkie to the vet. Hope everything will be OK.
Defiantly taking him in tomorrow, hope she can fit me in the morning. Otherwise early midday I hope. Unless he does something strange again then we Will go as an emergency. He ate very well, he gobbled down on Some soaked pellets, sprouts and chop. He was all messy:xflove:

Aww, Henkie, don’t scare your momma and all of us here on AA! I have no idea what it could be, but sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way. :hug8: Get better Henkie! :rflb:
He certainly did scare me! Still anxious, but not as much as when he vomitted. When he first vomitted I panicked and thought I was going to loose him right then and there:faint: But then he flew off and stopped, I could control myself and take a video for AA’s experts:rolleyes:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m glad you’re going to the vet just to make sure, and I hope that Henkie will be okay!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How is you little one?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
How is you little one?
He is doing very well, woke up this morning, had Some quiet cuddle time, he was hanging around the rabbits when I cleaned their litter box and is now eating breakfast. Vet this midday, it’s 8:30 now here.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I hope everything goes well. Sending good thoughts and wishes your way ❤

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I hope everything has settled down for your poor bird and you are both doing well.