• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vomit or Regurgitation??

Cary

Meeting neighbors
My 5 month old conure is regurgitating (I think). She is stretching her neck and bobbing her head when she is sitting on my shoulder, but then she shakes her head and sprays it everywhere. She did this a couple of nights ago and again tonight. The stuff coming out is off white - looks like seed maybe coated in saliva. Doesn’t smell, doesn’t look like bile. Otherwise she’s been happy and playful like normal.

The reason I’m asking is because of the way she’s shaking her head and spraying it everywhere. I’ve read that behavior is more indicitive of vomiting. On a side note she’s been mildly molting. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That does sound like vomiting. I think you should have her checked out by your vet. The next time she does that get as much of it as you can on a q-tip and place it in a baggie for them to look at it under a microscope. She may not do that when you take her in so at least you will have a sample of the vomit for them. She could have a bacteria causing her to do that and will definitely need to be treated. It would be better if you had a culture swab from the vets office as it is sterile in a package. Call for an appointment, if they can't work you in quickly I would do a run by with your swab and also pick one up from the vet so they can culture both to see what is going on. Super important to keep her water and food dishes clean and remove any fresh foods other than her pellet food and or seed within 2 hours of serving. Molting has nothing to do with it.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Definitely time to go to the vet. Shaking and spraying sounds like vomit. Keep us updated?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder