• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Volkman's Eclectus Mix

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
I am wondering if anyone here has used Volkman's ekkie mix with their bird? Any positive/negative feed back from those who have or does feed it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Phoenix

Walking the driveway
I used it mixed with TOPS; Ayesha, didn't get sick and die. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
If fed moderately, it should be ok.

It is a VERY heavy sunflower and safflower seed diet. So being fed moderately in a moderate percentage should be OK.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Reba gets a lot of fresh and Zupreem Natural Pellets. I have never heard of that Ekkie brand. Here is a recipe that I use for Ekkies.
1 1/2 cups dry beans (mixed like for soup) cook off for 1 1/5 hours and rinse until clean.
1 cup of whole grain macaroni noodles, cooked off and not tender like for humans. Cook 1/2 of the time.
1 cup pellet
1 whole mango (minus the pit of course) chopped
1 whole pear (no seeds) chopped
1 cup of applesauce
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies.
1 whole plum (no pit)
1 cup of dried parrot diet ( like you use as supplement)
Mix all together and freeze in individual bags.

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
I used it mixed with TOPS; Ayesha, didn't get sick and die. :)
Thanks, Phoenix... I'm not familiar with TOPS, though. I'll do a search. :) Diet for Freddy is a big concern for me. He is so happy and active and beautifully feathered, I want to keep him that way.

If fed moderately, it should be ok.

It is a VERY heavy sunflower and safflower seed diet. So being fed moderately in a moderate percentage should be OK.
Mercedez, I noticed the sunflower content and was surprised -- that's why I was wondering about the mix.

Thanks for your input. It's really appreciated!! :)

Reba gets a lot of fresh and Zupreem Natural Pellets. I have never heard of that Ekkie brand. Here is a recipe that I use for Ekkies.
1 1/2 cups dry beans (mixed like for soup) cook off for 1 1/5 hours and rinse until clean.
1 cup of whole grain macaroni noodles, cooked off and not tender like for humans. Cook 1/2 of the time.
1 cup pellet
1 whole mango (minus the pit of course) chopped
1 whole pear (no seeds) chopped
1 cup of applesauce
1 bag of frozen mixed veggies.
1 whole plum (no pit)
1 cup of dried parrot diet ( like you use as supplement)
Mix all together and freeze in individual bags.
Ah, thanks, Jennifer. I make a mash for my fids, but I have not added pellets or seed mix (which might actually help my picky eater).

You guys are the best -- thanks, so much!

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I use it for Skittles, and he eats every bit of it he can. I use it together with other foods of course.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Some signs of beginning food sensitivity to watch for in a healthy ekkie who is in good feather and on pellets:
~ 'Shaking it off'. Frequent head and whole body quick flexing. All birds do this periodically. Watch for signs your ekkie starts doing it frequently throughout the day. Accompanying irritability. Cannot relax.
~ Frequent scratching and itching. Sleep is also interrupted with scratching.
~ Frequent Head twitching
~ Involuntary wing flipping when trying to nap during the day or sleep at night.
~ Involuntary toe tapping.

If your ekkie develops any of these signs it is prudent to take them off all protein foods immediately which would include beans, nuts, pellets, egg, etc.

Last edited:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Someone here recommended the Volkman's mix for my ekkie, and I have been giving some to my Ollie ever since. He came from an all seed diet, so I felt I should give him some. He loves it. Of course, he eats lots of fresh foods, and it is just a portion of his varied diet, but he sure does love it!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Glad to hear your viewpoints, Volkmans makes a great "regular" parrot seed mix.

CityGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carol
I use it for Skittles, and he eats every bit of it he can. I use it together with other foods of course.
LOL! Good to know these guys like it -- do we have to watch for a strong preference for the Vokman's over the fresh foods?

If your ekkie develops any of these signs it is prudent to take them off all protein foods immediately which would include beans, nuts, pellets, egg, etc.
Thanks, Marie... there are so many articles on the internet and some even contradict others -- all pertaining to ekkies! It's hard to know who to take seriously. That's why I'm asking ekkie parronts about their tried and true experiences. I realize, of course, that each bird is different, but getting tips from others allows for some "educated" choices on my part.

Someone here recommended the Volkman's mix for my ekkie, and I have been giving some to my Ollie ever since. He came from an all seed diet, so I felt I should give him some. He loves it. Of course, he eats lots of fresh foods, and it is just a portion of his varied diet, but he sure does love it!
Monica, did he go for it right off, or did you have to work him into it?

Glad to hear your viewpoints, Volkmans makes a great "regular" parrot seed mix.
Hi Kristy! A bit off topic, here... LTNS, but then I don't get the chance to keep up as much as I'd like. I sit down to read, but something ALWAYS takes me away from the computer. :mad: On topic... do you use Volkman's for your fids?

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica

?
He came from an all seed diet, so he went for it right away. I'm glad to know that it's specially formulated for ekkies (or so I've been told) and it was better stuff than the general seeds he had been fed.

atomshell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelly Horton
I have been told to use this too but I was concerned about all the sunflower seeds.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Yes, there is a high sunflower/safflower content, but the reason it is recommended for ekkies is the lack of added vitamin coatings.

All my guys get about 2tbs a day. Their diet is mostly fresh/cooked foods.

atomshell

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shelly Horton
Yes, there is a high sunflower/safflower content, but the reason it is recommended for ekkies is the lack of added vitamin coatings.

All my guys get about 2tbs a day. Their diet is mostly fresh/cooked foods.
Thanks for the info. 2 tbs is not that much. I ordered some based on recommendations from so many sites devoted to Ekkies. I also just ordered some of their Soak and Simmer. I can't wait for it to arrive.

jim

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jim
I use it when ever I get low on ultimate blend and can't wait for an order. I wait too long sometimes. lol

Vega

Real Name
Joni
Watch your ekkie for a few days for sensitivity. Gypsy was fine on Roudybush for a few days before the toe-tapping started. Over the years her sensitivty has gotten worse. There have been some rare occaisions that she managed to get her beak into the conure's food dish...the tapping starts immediately.

I'd say if your baby seems ok after a week, they'll be ok.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'd say if your baby seems ok after a week, they'll be ok.
Actually a sensitivity can start any time, even months later. Always be aware of the signs of sensitivity. :)

laxdaniel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dan

LOL! Good to know these guys like it -- do we have to watch for a strong preference for the Vokman's over the fresh foods?

Thanks, Marie... there are so many articles on the internet and some even contradict others -- all pertaining to ekkies! It's hard to know who to take seriously. That's why I'm asking ekkie parronts about their tried and true experiences. I realize, of course, that each bird is different, but getting tips from others allows for some "educated" choices on my part.

Hi Kristy! A bit off topic, here... LTNS, but then I don't get the chance to keep up as much as I'd like. I sit down to read, but something ALWAYS takes me away from the computer. :mad: On topic... do you use Volkman's for your fids?
Hello- Our 2 Eclectus' get eat fresh fruit and Veggies daily. The Female is tolerant of Harrisons and other pellets but our male has severe toe tapping / wing flipping issues. Our vet told us to make sure he gets NO VITAMIN ENRICHMENTS in foods. Only natural foods and occasional nuts (Pistachios, almonds, etc) and birdie bread as long as there are no vitamin enhancements. Even with these precautions he has bouts with toe tapping/flipping mostly at night when he molts. We keep them both comfortable and shower them 2-3 times a week. There plumage is most always great with not plucking. My only advise to anyone with an Eclectus with feather or tapping issues is to change their diet and you will see results within a month.

Glucose

Sitting on the front steps
Volkmann's Eclectus mix was recommended to us as well, and we provide 1/4 a cup a day to our bird (though he eats less than half). We provide him fruit / veggies in the morning, and then sweet potato, Volkmann's mix and a few Roudybousch rice pellets at night.

Crackseed

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Seth
I also use Volkmann's - I mix it with 10 Harrison's Hi-Po pellets right now since Cervantes is still a baby. He gets half a cup of it everyday plus the pellets and this is a supplement to his bowl of fresh chopped legumes/fruits/veggies that he gets in the morning. Loves his pellets and seed mix, but he does eat a ton of fruits/veggies and has shown no worrying behaviors so I count the Volkmann's as a win :)