• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vision impairment and flight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Based on observing his flight pattern, John, I have to disagree with you. I have seven other flighted birds (some of whom have been previously clipped, one who hasn't), and their flying patterns are completely different. Sometimes the previously clipped birds will have a bad landing if they take off due to being startled, but when they're deliberately heading somewhere, they have no problems. Keep in mind that Lior lost his eye after the time he would have fledged.
Your probably right. It "could" also be a combination of both. Losing an eye for a bird is a pretty big handicap to overcome which he obviously hasn't yet. Not being a very good flyer would just compound the problem. If it was me I would work on helping him overcome his handicap with very short flights as mentioned. I would not clip him. He needs all the wing god gave him IMO. I would adapt the environment so he will succeed.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just wanted to add that when Opa flies and is about to land, he'll fly to the right of things; right of playstand, right of cage, my right, etc. And is blind in his left eye.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
He will do much better with adjusting to his blind eye since you do not feel he is having cocklear problems. That is good. Like I said before, you can also help him with learning to zero in on sounds.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Lior FLEW TO MY SHOULDER tonight! :dancing: First time he's ever made it precisely to where he wanted to go upon take-off!

Overall he has improved at finding somewhere to land when in the air, so he isn't having the crash landings he used to have. He even landed on the Atom the other day! His flying method now is to take off, hover in the middle of the room, spot something to his left that he can land on, and slowly fly over to it. He is the strangest flier I have ever seen... he goes into the landing/descending position immediately and keeps himself aloft in that position (even though it can lead to flying backwards) until he sees something he can navigate to!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
If he is confused during flight, giving him an audio cue to come toward to to you will help him. I had a lovebird who became almost completely blind due to cataracts. Katie had only peripheral vision in both her eyes by the time she turned twenty. She still flew, but she was very slow and methodical about it and sometimes when she got confused or turned around when she was flying, I would call to her while I stood beside her cage so she could find some safe place to land. Katie lived to be 24.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Lior FLEW TO MY SHOULDER tonight! :dancing: First time he's ever made it precisely to where he wanted to go upon take-off!

Overall he has improved at finding somewhere to land when in the air, so he isn't having the crash landings he used to have. He even landed on the Atom the other day! His flying method now is to take off, hover in the middle of the room, spot something to his left that he can land on, and slowly fly over to it. He is the strangest flier I have ever seen... he goes into the landing/descending position immediately and keeps himself aloft in that position (even though it can lead to flying backwards) until he sees something he can navigate to!

Good job Lior! :dance5: Keep it up, you're doing well!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Lindsay, he is amazing! :heart:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Congrats. Also remember once he learns the layout of the room he flies in, you cannot change the position of the cages or the major pieces of furniture in it because he will become confused again. Katie seemed to have a very accurate three D map of the room in her mind and if I changed anything it caused great problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.