• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Veterinarian

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Why can I not find a vet that only treats birds in my area?! Well, my breeder did recommend her vet. She said he travels all over the united states and treats birds and she said he's really good. He only treats birds. He is in Riverside which isn't far at all from me. About 20-30 minutes. The only thing with that vet is what if he's out of town if an emergency happens?? Who will I rely on? We are going to take Iggy to his first vet check up a couple weeks after he's settled in *if* the vet is in. I may have to be stuck with that vet, which I guess is okay. I mean my breeder seems to really like him and he's been seeing her birds for a while. She said for a check up it's cheap to go, so I guess that's a good thing. If you know of any other vets in my area or close to my area (Moreno Valley) that only treat birds please let me know! I remember seeing a vet in Temecula but I don't remember the website or if they only treat birds or anything about them. Sooo if you can help me find a vet that would be great. I tried looking on the association of avian vets website but everything is so far. =( I tried googling but nothing came up really. Maybe you guys know of some thing else.

Thanks!

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Where are you located?

patagonian

Hit the Road
They truely are hard to find!! the vet i use does both birds and reptiles...but that doesn't make me comfortable...I would also like a bird only verterinarian that is Avian Certified... Anybody can say they are in Avian Vet...but you must look to see if they are avian certified

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Yep. Moreno Valley, CA

No avian vets in my city. =( Near it, I hope there are a few but I can't seem to find any other than the one my breeder suggested. I think I may stick with that one but I want a back up vet in case something happens and that vet is not in town since he travels a lot. I just want to play it safe.

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
LA looks to be the closest and I know they have avian vets. Let me get back to you when I get home from work.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are very few who see birds exclusively, but quite a bit that are board certified and certainly very good :)

you can search for board certified ones here:
ABVP - find diplomate, certification, species, credentialing, veterinary clinical practice, vet

and avian vets that are at least members of the AAV here:
The Association of Avian Veterinarians | Association

My vet is in Santa Monica (board certified for about 20+ years) and is very good: Dr Lavac @ Wilshire Animal Hospital

Ive also used Dr Molnar in the past (I think he is in Calabassas now). Dr. Attila Molnar, DVM - About Our Office (site wouldnt load when I tried to confirm)

There is also Dr Larry Nemetz of The Bird Clinic (in Orange, CA) and he sees birds exclusively. He seemed to be a great diagnostician & surgeon but I had mixed feelings on some other things.

Not sure how close any of them are to you but I drive about 90 minutes to get to mine. It is worth it to have someone that really knows what they are doing.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Yeah I don't drive yet unfortunately so I have to rely on my mom all the time. I am looking into Dr. Nemetz. I've been reading his site and all. He's about 45 minutes from me. So we'll see what my mom says. He seems like a good vet from what i've read on his site, however, you can never go by what you read. So we'll see.

Still have some more searching to do to see if I can find some one closer.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Well I do hope you find one. A 45 minute drive is not THAT bad if it's a good vert. Just gas her car up for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.