• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet opinions on foraging

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity. -- Frank Leahy
I feel sad for all the birds lives she's going to influence through bad advice to owners.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I appreciate you guys letting me vent and listening. Was trying to not do that but I needed to let it out I guess. Been an upsetting day and other half worked for me so I could get the appt today so I haven't seen anyone and am just sitting here by myself.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I feel sad for all the birds lives she's going to influence through bad advice to owners.
Great and appropriate quote John. And you are right. I thought at first that she might be the way she is because she has just seen so much stupidity, but I feel like the ego may be the issue.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Love these ideas!

One of the reasons I chose to take Sherbie to the Exotic Bird Hospital was because of their videos.

Those are great! One of the reasons I picked mine over the other avian vet here is because of their segments on a TV show here called Totally Wild. I'll see if I can find some of their clips later.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sounds like she has an overinflated superego.
This isn't the wild.
The birds live in captivity.
Let them enjoy some foraging!
Tell her to stick one of her degrees where the sun doesn't shine...

:blahblah:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Sounds like she has an overinflated superego.
This isn't the wild.
The birds live in captivity.
Let them enjoy some foraging!
Tell her to stick one of her degrees where the sun doesn't shine...

:blahblah:
:laughing6: I needed that laugh :highfive:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ummm.... Vets even recommend foraging for cats and they sleep 16 hours a day.... Not really understanding the position lol

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ok, I thought about this some more while in the shower. Bebe would freaking starve to death if I went all forging toys for him. he doesn't get the concept of what forging toys are, yet. yes, he will break open one now & then and eat whatever is in them, but it rare. Sweet Pea on the other hand knows that mama put all sorts of good things in those white ghosts in her cage. I just finally got him to try soft foods in the AM. but they can't be too moist nor can they be too grainy either. Sweet Pea on the other hand almost licks her bowl clean. I don't take their food dishes out at night becuz Sweet Pea will go get a snack-a-roo about ten minutes after she is covered for the night.
I know that Dr. Tony's 2 macaws have their bowl of pellets 24/7 but they really like to find their forging toys even more. 'G's birds have their pellets but the ones that come out of the cage to java trees, T-stands and the " spider web" of ropes and perches above their cage have all sort of forging opportunities that she has set up for them.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hmmmm.
I think I might have an answer.

If this was about Weebles constant egg laying then she may have a point.
Weeble has a constant abundant food source which could encourage the desire to make eggs.
Don;t know what to tell you.

I guess your vet would rather you starve Weeble so that she thinks,,,hmmm
not even enough food for me..maybe I should not be thinking of laying these eggs///

Could you get her a birdy hysterectomy?

Don;t know about Lupron shots or the long term harm from using them.

I'm having my own battles with Drs right now & I'm ready to declare war.

:extremeanger::tmsmakesme::atomic:

Last edited:

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
When I was at the shop purchasing (err window shopping) toys for Pilo, one of the sales assistance persons came over and asked what sort of fid I had! (how did she know) After BLURTING OUT everything I could think of ( well if someone is going to listen about Pilo, its ON) to her, she told me that she only worked there part time and that she was a caretaker at the ZOO for the wild birds! Cut a long story short... and yes it was SO NICE to chat to another Parront! She advised me to place some foraging toys into the cage to help with hormones! So of course I bought two! (err still window shopping) and went home all excited (tired out after a long day) and couldn't wait for Pilo to try them!

The moral here... if its good enough for a professional caretaker at the ZOO... your VET need retraining! ;)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That's so bizarre! It's foraging for heavens sake, what's to disagree with?

I hope the Lupron works okay on your little sweetie pie!
:hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What does diurnal have to do with foraging? That makes absolutely no sense to me. I wonder if the wild parrots realize they shouldn't be foraging. Someone needs to stop them. :)

Last edited:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
She said birds should get all their caloric intake in two meals a day. I thought the same thing you said @iamwhoiam . she was just being combative all around. When I told her I was using full spectrum lights she said "well we don't know how much that really works anyway. Which ones do you have?" And I was like "uh, the ones you sold me". Lol. That was when I knew we were heading nowhere and ended the visit. Half the waiting room has a huge study across the whole wall about vit D and calcium absorption and she promotes the bulbs in her website.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Really strange that your vet is selling the lights but then makes the statement about not be sure how much they really work. Something is "off" here. If she questions their usefulness and comments about that then she shouldn't be selling them/promoting them on her website.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Really strange that your vet is selling the lights but then makes the statement about not be sure how much they really work. Something is "off" here. If she questions their usefulness and comments about that then she shouldn't be selling them/promoting them on her website.
I agree. I mean this is straight from her website
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
I've heard her saying negative things about another avian vet in the area and wondered if maybe she just doesn't like that I used to work for Dr B. A mental breakdown, perhaps? I really don't know. Just totally bizarre. I don't think it's just me based on Yelp reviews people have left over the years about her, but maybe. I don't know.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You know I thought she was very capable and knowledgeable, which is why I have put up with the attitude this far, but today no sense was made. If I did what she said my bird would be sitting in the cage all day with no toys or food. There seems to be a need to have everyone be wrong but her. I mean like after I listed all the environment, diet, and attention giving changes I have already made in relation to this hormonal business we have been dealing with, she acted like I had said none of that and told me to do all of the things I had just said I had done before coming in for the hormone shot. Didn't even believe me when I said she had lost 10% of her body weight. said it was speculation. I said "no I weigh her every other day". Weight was exactly what I said it would be. I just don't get it.
Words of advice: Push back. When hubby had his first heart attack a nice nutritionist came to talk to me about what we should not use or cook with - no butter, no creams, no deep frying, etc. THEN I told her hubby was/is lactose intolerant - no butter, cream or any milk products. We deep fry exactly one meal each year (my sons' favourite food). She didn't quite take it all in. Genetics suck and there's no amount of watching your diet that will fix that.

So the next vet visit, tell her and tell her you might piss her off but she has to know that she is not listening to YOU. And tell her that you were upset/aggravated because she didn't listen to you. A HUGE part of being a good doctor of any kind is that of being able to listen. Tell her she might have a very good degree in veterinary medicine but was not taught to listen to her patient's caretakers and that is as, if not more, important in the long run as having the degree and piece of paper that says she can practice veterinary medicine. And once the last visit is done tell her you are seriously considering changing to a different vet because she does not listen to you.

Last edited:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Words of advice: Push back. When hubby had his first heart attack a nice nutritionist cam to talk to me about what we should not use or cook with - no butter, no creams, no deep frying, etc. THEN I told her hubby was/is lactose intolerant - no butter, cream or any milk products. We deep fry exactly one meal each year (my sons' favourite food). She didn't quite take it all in. Genetics suck and there's no amount of watching your diet that will fix that.

So the next vet visit, tell her and tell her you might piss her off but she has to know that she is not listening to YOU. And tell her that you were upset/aggravated because she didn't listen to you. A HUGE part of being a good doctor of any kind is that of being able to listen. Tell her she might have a very good degree in veterinary medicine but was not taught to listen to her patient's caretakers and that is as, if not more, important in the long run as having the degree and piece of paper that says she can practice veterinary medicine. And once the last visit is done tell her you are seriously considering changing to a different vet because she does not listen to you.
Good advice. Thank you:hug8:

Such a weird place to be. Sigh. Wish I could just clone Dr Burkett. He has been so helpful to me and he's almost 3000 miles away. It really makes a difference having someone who does listen and will brainstorm with you.​