• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet dilemma!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Sooo My mom called the vet we *were* going to take Iggy to and they said they want $500 for the exam!!! We were fine with the 200 and everyone said thats a normal price to pay for an exam. But $500! sheesh that's a bit much for just a new bird exam. I realize they have to take blood but does it really cost *that* much?! My mom is going to call a different vet later that her friend referred her to that raises birds. It's so close to getting iggy. I should have already had an appointment for an exam...ahh this is so stressful now. So much for going to a vet that only see's birds and that's aav registered. =/

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:( I'm sorry. I will say that mine cost a bit over $500 when all was said and done for a really thorough exam. Can't put a price on peace of mind and healthy birdie. It's definitely quite a big expense, though.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Even though I am getting him from a breeder do I still need to get his blood done?
Probably a stupid question.

If it were my money I would pay the whole $500 but it's not all coming from me.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
When you say blood done do you mean bloodwork or any blood drawn at all? There HAS to be some blood drawn for psittacosis testing and others. As for bloodwork, I think that differs from person to person (or vet to vet) but my personal opinion is that a CBC and blood panel are always very useful to have on hand as a base line :)

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
An exam and bloodwork and a gram stain (pretty standard) is about $130 here at the avian clinic. I would ask what all that includes...sounds ridiculous, ESPECIALLY if they are not a BOARD CERTIFIED (you can look these guys up on the board website) avian vet. Who are these guys? I know you were having trouble finding a vet but that is insane.

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
On one hand, you can skip the exams because you don't have to worry about other birds.

However, if the bird has a health guarantee and you don't catch a disease that ends up killing the bird in a few weeks, you will be out of a bird and your money that you paid to the breeder.

Did you ask the vet what was included in that initial exam? They could be throwing in a microchip/DNA sexing/wing and nail clip/etc.

When I got Kiwi, because he was from a petstore, I got the whole 9 yards done. It was in the $300 range. I had 14 days to have any testing done (it takes time to come back from the lab) so I went the Saturday after I got him.

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
An exam and bloodwork and a gram stain (pretty standard) is about $130 here at the avian clinic. I would ask what all that includes...sounds ridiculous, ESPECIALLY if they are not a BOARD CERTIFIED (you can look these guys up on the board website) avian vet. Who are these guys? I know you were having trouble finding a vet but that is insane.

They are board certified and only see birds. When I first called them the lady told me it was going to be 218! Then my mom calls and they tell her it's going to be 500!! I don't know exactly what they told my mom because she's still at work but when she gets home I'll ask.

Since I don't have any other birds should I save the money for another vet visit? Or do you guys think it's absolutely necessary I take him now. If they are throwing in a microchip, DNA sexing, wing and nail clip...I don't need any of that! They should ask before they give a quote if the bird has these things already. I already got him DNA'd and his wings are clipped for now and I doubt his nails need to be clipped already. I've got to search for more vets.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
For everything, exam, all the blood work for the big diseases, fecal, etc. it was $415.00 from my vet in Miami. I would ask them what that $500.00 covers.

Ginger

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I'm just guessing that it could include all of those extras, but you won't know until you ask. I live in the middle of nowhere, so prices on most everything are cheaper here.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
For peace of mind Yes! have vet check.
Blood check does cost money,
Test for psittacosis for a bird from a known breeder, one would like to think should not be nessary.
You could ask for just a check over and gram stain.
This is all I have done each time I bring a bird home. It does give you a good base to work from. I am lucky I do have a good idea of the birds condition before they come home. As they are 3x rescues or 2x rehomes.
Note weight as well, the vet will do this, but is good to keep at home just incase!

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I think it gives you peace of mind but wow that's a lot. My vet charges $250 and I get EVERYTHING done. Maybe try another vet.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ask what the $500 covers. I don't test for psitticosis. But all new birds are tested for, PBFD, Aspergerillis (I do both of these tests myself and send them to avian biotech, its $25 per test),

At the vet's we do an Xray, blood drawn (CBC, Platelets), fecal and throat/crop cultures done. Costs anywhere between $150-300. Xray costs the most. But I feel its very important to have a looksy at your bird's organs.

Oh and many avian vet charge a "new bird exam" fee if they have never seen that bird in their clinic before. For my avian vet, the New Bird Exam is $100...so that will make the cost go up quite a bit.

Last edited:

AngelGoffin

Sprinting down the street
The avian vet that I go to cost about $500. New patient/file set up was $95.00 and the initial testing was approx $398.00. Follow up for JJ was less than $100 and that included the medication etc. He was really sick as I rescued him from a shelter and I had Angel to think about; I'd do it again if I had to; but I agree it is a lot of money. I actually have an emergency fund for my birds. Pet care is expensive but it is my responsibility and I really like the avian vet I go to. Having that confidence sure makes a difference.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I hope everything goes well! :hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thats great news,let us know how it goes.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good luck at the vet's!

Matt

Status