• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Very worried after vet appointment Bleeding from nostrils

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Sweety I would call the vet ASAP. I think he needs to be seen. Let me see if I can get someone else here but please call the vet. :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I just emailed Gary and BF. Try to calm yourself and your bird so his blood pressure will go down. Do you have any Cayenne pepper?

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I don't want to stress you out more, but it *could* be internal bleeding. Good chance it is not, but just in case, I hope you're on your way to the vet right now!! Please keep us updated!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
GET HIM BACK TO THE VET RIGHT NOW. This is serious. Call her and get him back immediately. Do not wait.

Ginger

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Praying for your FID....:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
she hasnt posted in a half hour so I am assuming she took him in

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why the heck didn't the vet just take blood from the short clipped nail? It was already bleeding. (It really sounds like the vet botched the exam IMO)

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, you need to give your bird cayenne on toast with peanut butter, birds like cayenne. This will help stop bleeding internally. Use a paste of cayenne to stop the bleeding on his neck externally. There is no excuse for a avian vet missing the jugular. Call your vet now and tell him what is going on. It appears there may be internal bleeding, the vet may have gone through the jugluar vein.

Be careful how you handle your bird, the less excitement the better.

Keep us posted!!

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
I hope he's okay! :hug8:I'm so sorry this is happening. I'm guessing you're at the vet's now, I wish you and Max luck. Keep us updated, I'll keep you both in my thoughts. :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Praying that everything is ok

Ariahna

Sprinting down the street
Okay, we are back and I have read through these posts and many of you are right. I think the exam was botched to.

Here is the update. The bleeding was from his nostrils which I informed her of on my way in. She had some epinephrine or something like that prepared with saline to cause restriction. After several minutes we were able to stop the bleeding from the nose. There was some blood at the back of the throat as well, she didn't know if he was swallowing that. She checked his neck and chest for bruising, or trauma and didn't say she found anything. But his poop has been very dark. I'm afraid some internal damage was done.

He is eating and I'm going to keep him with me tonight. I'm also going to put parchment paper over his newspaper in the cage, is parchment paper okay? I don't have any white paper. I want to see what his droppings look like. She didn't do anything else, but I do have more of the drops in case his nose starts bleeding. Any other suggestions?

I am going to try the toast/peanut butter and cayenne right now. I think he may have some internal bleeding as well with the way his stools look. I'd appreciate any other advice, and of course your prayers are very welcome. I'm sick to my stomach right now, and I'm sure my blood pressure is as high as Max's is.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
I'm glad the bleeding stopped.
I'll keep you two in my thoughts, and I hope whatever is going on is easily treatable <3

:hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh goodness. I'm glad the bleeding stopped, but dark poops (black) mean internal bleeding. I hope those stop as well. I'm surprised the vet didn't want to keep him overnight with internal bleeding? I know birds don't have much blood to lose.

Keep us updated on how he's doing. Thinking of you two!!

:hug8: :hug8:

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
So did the vet do anything or say anything about the internal bleeding? I'd be worried about that... I'm not there, so I can't say- but I don't like the sound of this vet very much. I'm glad Max is okay for now.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please get some slippery elm to help with any bleeding in the GI tract. Mix SE powder with water, 1tsp SE to 4 tsp water, feed as much as you can. It sounds to me like your vet does not know the trick to properly towel a bird. It is very easy to "squish" them and cause internal injuries.

Please keep us posted.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.