• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures VERY Scary situation

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Okay so I am still a little frazzled as I write this so forgive any mistakes. Also this is probably going to be very long since I am feeling the need to write it all out to calm me down.

Echo and Percy had found a new interest in their tent that they had for a while but when I mentioned it on here several voiced concerns about it getting frayed and causing injury or worse to my fids so of course I took it out to make sure that nothing would happen to them!

Since their cage was feeling a little empty without it I went to the pet store to spoil them a bit and find new toys to replace it. They had just gotten into chewing (with the tent) so I bought one of the mini kabobs because I had heard really great things about it and how other birds just tore it to pieces.

This is what I am talking about.
wesco-bird-kabob-shreddable-bird-toy-mini.jpg

They absolutely loved it! Tore the top three to pieces in no time! I was so happy and planning on making it a new regular chewing toy for them until tonight.

I was sitting on the couch with my mom watching Skin Wars (has anyone seen that show? Incredible!) when I heard one of the boys squeal. It wasn't a regular sounding squeal like they were having fun I could immediately tell one of them were in distress so I looked up and I saw Echo just hanging on the kabob by his wings. I knew right away something wasn't right and I had my mom come help me get him out. She grabbed a towel to make it a little easier and at this point I wasn't so sure he hadn't hung himself or broken a wing.

My mom unscrewed the kabob from the cage and I toweled Echo and we ran him to the bathroom and shut the door (our safest place for him since we have 2 dogs and a cat) . When I uncovered him he was an absolute mess. Of course at first he was going to town on my fingers like he hadn't eaten in days. We kept the rest of his body covered except for the wing that the twine was wrapped around and we were having troubles because he was clutching onto the twine with his right foot so we couldn't go anywhere until we got it out. Well as soon as we'd get it out he would flail and just twist the twine up in his wing even more!

We cut the toy off (the hanging kabobs and the top so we were only left with about a 2-3 in piece of twine to work with) because we didn't want it to be pulling on his wing or for him to try and fly with all of the weight attached. He got loose one or two times and I know that that didn't help with the whole untangling situation but honestly I was shaking so much and tearing up that I'm surprised that I could even hold him to help my mom (she isn't a big fan of small pets like small birds, rats, hamsters, etc. so I held him and distracted his beak if it got out while she untied the twine).

Eventually we got it all untangled, thankfully. Between Echo flailing (for obvious reasons) and then getting loose the twine had ended up going through the feathers in his wing (so it looked like it was in the middle of his wing) and wrapping around a couple of times and oh man am I just glad it is all over with now.

The toy had been in their cage for about a week and when I put it in the first day I made sure to pay attention to them closely with it for the next couple of days and since they were chewing it so well I decided that they knew what it was for and weren't going to have any problems. But I know that problems can happen any time I just mean that I felt comfortable with them having a new toy. And tonight I don't even think Echo was playing with it I just think he was flying from one side of the cage to the other and bam just hit it and got stuck. I am just SO THANKFUL that we were home to help him because he might have broken a wing or worse trying to escape from it himself. Needless to say I will be staying away from toys with large pieces of twine for a while haha.

During the whole ordeal I wasn't so sure we would be able to get it undone ourselves and thought about calling the emergency vet but it is so far away and I don't really have the money right now for a long trip and an expensive vet bill (I was willing to go but wasn't sure how it was going to be paid for) but I did call my regular avian vet to schedule a vet visit for in the morning sometime to make sure that he didn't get any cuts or anything and they a wing really didn't get injured. They are closed now so I just left a message and am hoping that she has some open spots tomorrow!

WHEW. What a night and what a post lmao. If you actually made it all the way down to here thanks for reading my scrambled thoughts haha. The boys are in bed now and Echo seems alright, stressed for sure but he ate some millet from me and he was flying around for a second. I think I am going to hit the hay myself but only after I stop shaking :wacky:

Here is what we were left with:

WP_20140918_20_58_39_Pro.jpg

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Omg! Glad it worked out! My birds love that toy too, now I'm having second thoughts about it, coz I'm at work all day, eeekkk!

Reactions: Lo_

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Glad he's okay! I cut the wood pieces off the string and slide them onto a skewer. :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Thanks @Birdbabe I'm glad too :hehe: . I don't want to scare you away from it because I know that a lot of birds seem to love it but I hadn't even imagined that he would get stuck like that uk? And usually we are away from the house from about 7:30am-6pm so I was glad it happened at a time when we were home!

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
@saroj12 That is a very good idea! I told my mom that I might buy it again since they loved it so much but just put the wood, off of the twine, on the bottom of the cage or something. But skewering them sounds great!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so happy you were home and able to act quickly. Not all are so lucky!

I'm really starting to consider a no rope policy on all my toys! Skewers are just so much safer.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
@Mizzely Yes that is the thing I keep telling myself! Thank goodness we were able to help him because he was really freaking out and I don't think it would have ended well :(. And yes, skewers are looking more and more appealing to me! ;)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:grouphug2: I can just imagine the stress for your bird. Thank goodness you were home.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Glad everything worked out! It is scary what kind of trouble these guys can get into :eek:

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
@Yes thank you! I was considering putting him in a separate cage for the night so he wouldn't over exert himself but then decided that might stress him even more than needed.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
@itzmered thanks :) It is scary! This is the first "big" deal that we've had haha. He has escaped once (inside the house) but that wasn't nearly as scary as this.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
So happy you where home . How scary that must have been. I had one for Bodie but he did not touch it so I tossed it.

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
That's terrible I am glad he is ok.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Roma loves this toy, too, but I cut the discs off and either put them in his toy basket for foot toys or make other toys with them. Glad your Fid is okay after all that!

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thank goodness you and your Mom thought so fast. I'm rather scared now---that is my sun's favorite toy and I order a bunch of them several times a year. I do put it on a skewer after she chews off the top twine----maybe I'll do that automatically .The only toy she had an accident on (so far fingers crossed) was a cheap mini "bagel" that I put in a toy basket. She managed to get it stuck around her neck---- Dad helped me towel my hysterical screamer and the toy slipped off before we had to cut it. I never gave her another. :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So glad Echo is ok now! It's 'no twine' here as well. I restring on skewers or paper rope. Also no coconut fibers. :hug8:

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Two of my birds love those also. I have noticed the potential for danger with them as well and as soon as they chew one off I shorten it immediately and cut off the excess.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How scary. I'm glad he's okay!

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad all is OK! My Izzy almost hung herself on this toy. Her and Mia and demolished the yucca part and a loop was left. I went in and Izzy was hanging from the top of the cage by her feet with the loop around her neck. Thank goodness she gently let Mike and I cut it off. I no longer purchase this toy. I buy just loose yucca pieces.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
We go thru these pretty often too. Merlin chews from the top on them, when he destroys 1-2, I cut the twine & use them for foot toys. Glad he's ok :hug8: :hug8: