• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Venus Fly Trap , plants safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Are Venus Fly Traps safe to be around birds?

I don't mean they will be sitting near it, eating it BUT that's always a possibility but a doubtful one

I just want to make sure they're safe to have in the same house/room as the birds

I have an issue with FLIES and they're driving me insane and using a fly swatter just isn't cutting it , and I'd prefer not to use the sticky fly traps I can put them in places the birds don't go BUT there's always the chance they could go and then get caught in one

but the last straw was when i was trying to take a nap earlier, I've had a migraine for 2 days and I just fell asleep when the stupid fly wouldn't leave me alone buzzing in my face, ears, around my nose Just drove me completely insane. Sitting here or any where really and they're flying at you and its just nerve racking

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I would ? whether it would be...with the "juices" to dissolve the "catch".
:hug8:

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Have no idea if the regular smaller V.F.T.s are safe or not around your birds but just be careful you don't purchase the newest cultivar just recently introduced in Japan, as your S.O. just may wind up missing, not to mention your flock members. ;)

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I had one for a couple of years in the same house with my budgies. No one died. No one tried to eat it either. You could always put the plant inside of an old cage you don't want. It will keep the birds out, but let the flies in. Could do that with flystrips too though. Remember that VFT don't eat that many flies really, so a flystrip might be a better option if your desire is pest control rather than a cool plant with special heat and humidity requirements.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Thanks :) that was pretty much what i was asking if it could be in the same house - I've never seen one in real life so wasnt sure if they had a smell to them or not

I was thinking of the sticky fly traps as well I can put those in places the birds don't go Like up above the fridge, in the laundry room (The door is usually always closed unless i am in there) the bathrooms - the birds don't go in them.

but my sons friend (we tease him and call her his Girlfriend lol) that he goes to school with, lives behind us, and her mom takes them both to school and brings them home so neither has to walk - they have one and he's fascinated by it , and started smooshing the flies and wanted a sandwich bag for them - i asked what are you doing with them? he said i'm saving them and going to give them to virginia for her venus fly trap ..... so i had to tell him I was pretty sure they only ate life flies lol

we had bought them a dome plant growing kid a long time ago from the Hobby lobby and the Venus fly trap was one that was supposed to be in it, it had a few different bug eating plants - it was to teach kids how they "worked" but there were no seeds in it, like it was supposed to be and the store refused to get any more just so we could have the seeds and they didn't sell the packs on their own so now thats sitting in my closest collecting dust lol

Status
Not open for further replies.