• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Veggies

animallover9

Walking the driveway
I have been slowly trying to get my birds to eat fruits and veggies with no luck they have never had it before and so far are not liking it at all. Today I tried some sweeter bright colored food to get there attention Phoenix and Raiden went and looked at it Raiden wanted nothing to do with it and walked away. I tried to put seeds on it to get there attention even more Phoenix proceeded to pick the seeds off the food! Today was Raspberries, Peppers, and Carrots but it was the same today as it is every day. If you get anything green good luck with them even looking at it. How can I convince them healthy food is yummy also? Any foods your tiels particularly like? I was sure they would go for the raspberries but I was sadly mistaken. Any tips are very much appreciated!

PS. The budgies have the exact same reaction. -_-

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Most tiels don't care for fruits, except for maybe apples. They tend not to like things too wet. I would try broccoli to start, because the floret part looks like little seeds, and most tiels like it. Then mix it up with some other veggies like zucchini, green beans, peppers, carrots, etc. I would chop everything very tiny. Very, very tiny. Mixing in a little seeds is a good idea. Sprouts are also great to give your birds, and most will eat them after just a few tries. Feed the veggies to them in the morning when they are the most hungry. Early evening is good too if you can't do the morning. Keep doing it every day. Sometimes a bird will have to see things many, many times before they recognize it as food. Eat some yourself in front of them, and make a big deal out of it. Don't give up! You will find that you will be throwing away a lot of food, but sooner or later they will eat it!

mstomcat65

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marti
My lovebird isn't a fan of fruits either as most aren't. I started out with apple and she does like that. The only other fruit she will eat is watermelon. As tiel feather said about sticky foods, lacey don't like sticky stuff either. And I also had to start out with the fruits and veggies diced pretty tiny. She is also more apt to try new things because she sees my severe macaw eating it.

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
When I first got Kanji, I would mix a little seed in with his veggies to get him to try them. After a few weeks I was able to cut out the seed and he is eating his breakfast no problem. I just pull his regular food after I get home from work, then give him his veggies first thing in the morning. After he eats, I put his regular food back and leave the veggies for a couple hours.

His usual mix is broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. I got one of those Easy Choppers, it only takes a couple minutes to get everything chopped up nice and small, and mixed together pretty well.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
The first veggie BeeBop started to eat was lettuce. Your tiel' may be different you just have to keep trying all sorts of veggies and different ways to present them. Birds are very picky if they don't like the color, texture, shape, or taste they will not eat it. I've had lots of success with just giving BB some veggies for breakfast and not giving him any seeds until noon. You can also try mixing veggies and seeds with applesauce so everything sort-of tastes the same to them. You can do the same thing with spices like cinnamon. I hope they start eating new things soon!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As was mentioned, tiels tend not to be fruit eaters. The first vegetable my tiel ate was raw broccoli chopped in tiny pieces- they look like seeds if you chop small enough. He also loved all kinds of lettuce. You can also try making birdie bread and sneaking vegetable in that way.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Parsely, is a good try,,you can hang it and it's a toy as well as food. Carrot tops, broccoli florets, redleaf, or Greenleaf lettuce. Eat some or pretend to, in front of them.. make it fun, yum, yum,,,look what I have. Keep trying different things, they'll come around.

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My birds love their spinach, peas, grapes, corn and dandelion. Sometimes they eat a piece of Apple, but they love their greens better

animallover9

Walking the driveway
We had some success today the tiels decided the veggies weren't all bad after all. I saw Raiden and Phoenix eating some of the veggies even the green stuff! (spinach, red leaf lettuce, romaine, little kale) They do not like the raspberries and those were pushed to the side but they did eat seem to like the carrots and peppers. I never saw Tris eating the veggies but that doesn't mean she didn't eat any. The budgies though decided it would be more fun to throw the food everywhere than to actually eat it but we are working on it still hopefully one day they all will see it is good food and not a play toy to throw for me to clean up.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay! Great progress so far!:chickendance:

Cockatielmamaw

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I have been slowly trying to get my birds to eat fruits and veggies with no luck they have never had it before and so far are not liking it at all. Today I tried some sweeter bright colored food to get there attention Phoenix and Raiden went and looked at it Raiden wanted nothing to do with it and walked away. I tried to put seeds on it to get there attention even more Phoenix proceeded to pick the seeds off the food! Today was Raspberries, Peppers, and Carrots but it was the same today as it is every day. If you get anything green good luck with them even looking at it. How can I convince them healthy food is yummy also? Any foods your tiels particularly like? I was sure they would go for the raspberries but I was sadly mistaken. Any tips are very much appreciated!

PS. The budgies have the exact same reaction. -_-

Cockatielmamaw

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I have started giving all four of my tiels veggies. They all have different tastes for different things that is for sure. I actually got dried fruit that has apricot, raisons and other fruits. I mince all that up and put in my bird bread. They seem to eat that very well. As far as greens, i mix broccoli, kale (which they all love),baby spinach, fresh oregano or herb combination. As far as the carrot and sweet potato, i cook them soft and mash up. I do take a little millet and sprinkle over the food, it always gets them interested. If you havent tried fresh kale, you might want to. Its very good for them.

dts

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
damaris
They can be picky indeed. Blue does not like broccoli but he loves broccolini :confused:.:wideyed:

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
My tiels ate veggie chop when they were younger, but now all I can get them to do is nibble on corn and shredded carrot lol

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I usually give my tiels an entire leaf of kale and brocolli stem with florets.
They shred and chew it like they do their shredder-type toys.
So far that is the only way they will "eat" it.

Diesel13

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Miranda
Try clipping the leafy veggies to the sides and top of the cage. Sometimes if its hanging or placed like a toy they're more inclined to chew on it. Then they realize its food :D My friend's budgies will readily eat their leafy greens when hung on clips. They also really like it when the leaves are wet because they like picking the water droplets off.

Just keep trying different ways and eventually something will click. You must be more persistent than they are stubborn :p

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My tiel LOVES a mash I make every night for her made with quinoa, lentils, cranberries, parsley and hot peppers. It's the only fresh food I have found her to like. It was on the recommendation from my avian vet that some birds only eat healthy fruits or veggies with spice so we added hot peppers and voilà.