• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Valentine adoption for my hubby :)

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

My husband and a Senegal at AHW Shelter have been best buds for over a year. Mali is a really personable little guy and tho we have always known he prefers men, we thought he would pick his guy one day. He has been at the shelter about 3 years and the last year he has just been crazy about my husband, he is always so happy to see him whenever Byron went to the shelter with us. It had been a running joke that if no one adopted Mali, I'd just smuggle him home for my husband.

After pretty much everyone getting bitten by the little turd, with the sole exception of my husband, we started talking about Mali might be happiest just to come live with us. So for a Valentine present, we went over on Saturday and officially adopted Mali. Well, Byron did... Mali showed his appreciation by promptly biting me today, but I made the mistake of scratching his head while he was hanging with Byron. He's made it pretty clear that now that he is finally home, Byron is all his :) At least at the shelter Mali always let me scratch his head!! But, with all the birds in the home, Byron is entitled to one guy that is his best friend :)

Mali will be 22 on February 28th, so he's no spring chicken, but he's at least happy for the rest of his life :)

Pics of the brat :) including one of my finger - we've nicknamed his adoption 'My Bloody Valentine'!! Another cute pic is a photo of a feather he molted and Byron gave him a Pocahontas 2015-02-15 14.03.03.jpg 2015-02-15 10.42.28.jpg 2015-02-15 10.31.17.jpg 2015-02-14 17.29.23.jpg 2015-02-14 15.59.30.jpg disguise.

Attachments

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
What a cutie pie! Sorry you had to provide the inspiration for that great "My Bloody Valentine" caption, but, lucky, lucky Mail and Byron :heart:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sure is a handsome gent Congrats for hubby but hope he'll learn to be civil to you.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Sure is a handsome gent Congrats for hubby but hope he'll learn to be civil to you.

What a cutie pie! Sorry you had to provide the inspiration for that great "My Bloody Valentine" caption, but, lucky, lucky Mail and Byron :heart:

Thanks for your thoughts, but its not the first time Mali has drawn blood :) I've introduced him to more then a dozen adopters over the past year and most of those meetings ended with the use of the beak on either myself or the adopter.... the reason this awesome guy never was adopted, and we finally decided that living with Byron was what he really wanted and the only way he would not continue his blood lust :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh how wonderful! I'm so very happy for Mali! :heart:

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
What a cutie! Congrats to your Hubbie!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouch for your finger, but yay for Mali and Byron! :D

Congrats! :starshower1:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Mali looks happy to have a forever home. :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Big congrats to your hubby and Mali! I guess Malie had to make sure you understood who his person was going to be!

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
How wonderful, Thank you for adopting :)

We have to adopt, if I ever purchased another bird, Jeanne (owner of AHW) would beat me :) Tho would make for some great gossip for her to have the shelter's Adoption Coordinator purchased a bird at this point!! :) I'm a huge advocate of adoption, and especially adoption when the bird picks their person!

Congrats! Mali looks happy to have a forever home. :)

We think Mali has known for the last year we were his forever home, we just kept thinking someone else would come in and he'd pick someone to go home with. I joke he deliberately bit every adopter I introduced him to so sooner or later we would see no other option then formally adopting him!!

Big congrats to your hubby and Mali! I guess Malie had to make sure you understood who his person was going to be!

He's always let me know he liked Byron more then me... this time he was just out right staking his claim! But, now each of us has at least one bird that is only really good for them... I have my Max, Victoria has Kelly and Ivory, and now Byron has Mali!

Thanks to everyone who posted and all the well wishes!

Jennifer
AHW Adoption Coordinator

parrotlover4

Walking the driveway
Aww how cute! I love pois and would be my second choise after a grey! Sorry you got bit :( glad you resqued a parrot in need of a home!!