• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vacation cage for gcc suggestions needed

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone! I've had my lovely boy Cecil for almost 2 months and he is doing well, he is such a character and I enjoy having him in my life so much! I am trying to find a good vacation cage for him, as we drive down to my parents home for family get togethers and I am unable to bring his massive home cage. We have a good sized travel cage that we use for trips to the vet and car rides, but I'd feel bad keeping him in that for 2 or more days while we're traveling. I'd like to purchase a cage big enough for him to be comfortable in for a few days while still being able to travel with it easily, or it being collapsible. My buget is around 50 dollars, does anyone have a suggestion for which cage would match this use? Thanks so much!!

Also bird tax because I love him so much.

Attachments

Colbon2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
I recently just made a post about this cage, which I am quite happy with... It's not within your $50.00 range but will last a long time so maybe an investment into long term? I will be using this for my Rose Crown Conure, who is a little larger than a green cheek for a week and a half. Its really nice and on the side with the dishes it has seat-belt holders for safe seat-belt securement in the car.

upload_2018-9-8_20-57-10.jpeg

I purchased this on Amazon.ca for $140.00. It seems to keep going down in price. it was originally $160.00 and currently as I looked up the price today for the description it went down to $130.00

Prevue Pet Products Anodized Aluminum Travel Carrier for Birds, Black

• Ideal for short term use, traveling or emergency situations
  • Anodized aluminum is rust resistant, sturdy and lighter than other travel cages
  • Innovative welded bracket seat belt collars for automotive travel safety
  • Solid cup doors prevent spilling while the lock-in-place cups won’t be dislodged by your bird
  • 18 3/4’’ Long, 14 7/8’’ Wide and 18’’ High (25'' High to top of play top) with 1/2'' wire spacing

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I like the one @Mhert posted. I find those cages to be so versatile. They are light weight and make great travel cages, sleeping cages, sick cages, etc. My maroon belly conure sleeps in the 24” one, and my nanday sleeps in the 30” one. If you can fit the 30” x 18” one into your car, that’d be great, but the 24” one is good too. Just be sure to secure the doors. My little maroon belly learned right away how to open them, bracing the door on her back while sneaking out.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Prevue Pet Products Small Bird Flight Cage, White - Chewy.com

This cage should do the trick pretty well, you can sometimes find it at locally owned pet stores for around the same price too. It's 30x18x18
You'll definitely want to zip tie the doors though with the craftiness of a GCC.
I have these for my Conure and Lovebird. My Conure's not sneaky enough to open the cage, but I keep a clothespin on the door anyway to prevent escape. Zip ties would work great.

Memowe

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone! I decided on the cage mhert suggested, which is working wonderfully. Luckily we got it the day before we needed to leave because of the hurricane, and Cecil is doing well it it. He has plenty of room, and the cage is light enough to carry around the house so he can be with us when we're able, but also in a safe room when the houses cat it out. He loves being on top of the door when it's left open and we are playing card games!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Prevue Pet Products Small Bird Flight Cage, White - Chewy.com

This cage should do the trick pretty well, you can sometimes find it at locally owned pet stores for around the same price too. It's 30x18x18
You'll definitely want to zip tie the doors though with the craftiness of a GCC.
This is what my pairs have when they go to the sitter. I zip tie all the doors and use a screw on cap for the main door. I also sent my foster beebs in one to Bird Garden. Oh and it's my go to cage for sick, elderly or injured cheekies.

Lola in her cage at the vet. You can see it does have some room.

cage.jpg

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
The screw on cap is really clever! I never thought of that.

I like that your cheekies do the same thing as Rupert does with the whisker toys. :lol:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I didn't know Prevue had anodized aluminum travel cages now, too. I've been meaning for a long time to get a fourth King's one. They are expensive but if there is ever a reason my birds need to be out of the house I know it will be worth it for them to each to have one. I think they would be the best solution as well for a long power outage in the winter as they will easily fit around the wood burning stove. I haven't had this situation since having the 4 birds I have now, but I would be silly to think it couldn't happen again.

Colbon2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nikki
I didn't know Prevue had anodized aluminum travel cages now, too. I've been meaning for a long time to get a fourth King's one. They are expensive but if there is ever a reason my birds need to be out of the house I know it will be worth it for them to each to have one. I think they would be the best solution as well for a long power outage in the winter as they will easily fit around the wood burning stove. I haven't had this situation since having the 4 birds I have now, but I would be silly to think it couldn't happen again.

the cage has some great reviews online I did a lot of research. I almost selected the poquito, however all the reviews said it was hard to put together.