• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UV light

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, I have heard that UV light bulbs should be changed once or twice a year because they don't emit UV after a while. If this is correct it would mean that my UV light is but a standard lamp after 6 to 12 months, right? Can it be used for plants? Has any of you tried it?

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Yes they need changing after 12months some people say 18months but Ive always changed mine after 12months for my leopard gecko
I don’t think think so but I’ve never tried these are amazing for plants
IMG_8450.png

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes it still works as light, just doesn't emit UVB. Some brands are only 6 months, others are a year, so you have to check. Arcadia is 1 year.

You could try it with the plants! I think they need red/blue light?

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Hi, I have heard that UV light bulbs should be changed once or twice a year because they don't emit UV after a while. If this is correct it would mean that my UV light is but a standard lamp after 6 to 12 months, right? Can it be used for plants? Has any of you tried it?
You can use them for plants if you want but even brand new bird bulbs arent the optimum light spectrum for plants.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes, I used to use older UV bulbs as extra light for plants in my previous house. Seemed to work well.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes it still works as light, just doesn't emit UVB. Some brands are only 6 months, others are a year, so you have to check. Arcadia is 1 year.

You could try it with the plants! I think they need red/blue light?
Mine have been use over one year but they are older than that. I've read that if they still emit UV they could burn the plants, but the light doesn't have to be any specific color, white light should be fine

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
You can use them for plants if you want but even brand new bird bulbs arent the optimum light spectrum for plants.
true, but they just need a little kick of extra light before they go outside, and I have these at hand but no grow light, thus the idea.. :cool:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes they need changing after 12months some people say 18months but Ive always changed mine after 12months for my leopard gecko
I don’t think think so but I’ve never tried these are amazing for plants
View attachment 445141
Wow thanks! I'd have to check if they fit my armatur! They are quite pricey though.. :wideyed:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Wow thanks! I'd have to check if they fit my armatur! They are quite pricey though.. :wideyed:
They are but definitely worth it if you have plants in your viv