• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

UV light?

Brenda74

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brenda
Is it necessary to have a UV light for my budgies? What are the benefits? Are there any drawbacks? Thanks!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Bump

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
I recently purchased regular “daylight” led bulbs. It seems to have made my birds a little happier. I’ve read several threads on here about this topic and decided I didn’t need the entire bird lamp setup, when the daylight bulbs produce the same effect. (Allows the birds to see better by utilizing more of their amazing eyesight).
Im pretty sure people have differing views on this though..

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
In these days of supplements in pellets and seed mixes they get all the D3 they need from their food. However, supplemental lighting over the cage is always beneficial and can really boost a bird's energy levels. Newer LED lights (flicker free) are great for this.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
My experience with Tweetie agrees with what @Ripshod says about the light. When I moved Tweetie's cage to a spot in front of the window, she came alive tweeting, singing, jumping around. I've noticed that on cloudy days she's much quieter. I've ordered a LED lamp for her to use on those cloudy/rainy days (please don't tell the California tourism dept that I said it rains in Southren California!).