• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Use of Haldol for pluckers -opinions?

BeakFace

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have a re home bird that was on it for years. Side effects are many but lack of appetite and energy for sure. I gradually weaned her off the drug. I did it slowly because I didn't know what to expect. Within a couple of weeks her appetite increased and she became more energetic. She was given the drug for plucking or as her owner called it barbering? My avian vet said plucking is plucking no matter what you call it. I am no expert but it appears she over preens herself. Since before she had no interest in doing much and she had to much time on her hands. Her previous owner started to travel more and that caused it to get worse. I think also to quite her down was part of the reason as well! It certainly did that. She is doing great off the drug. She has figured out what wood is and I can't cut fast enough. I have tried everything to interest her in toys and I am gaining on that battle! Her feather's are starting to come in on her chest. Don't know if they will ever be completely filled in. Her owner stated she was fully feathered one year previous. Her chest was pretty bare Dec. of 2013 when I got her. She has lots of down and a few feather's coming in on her chest. I also let her wings grow in. She was clipped for 14.5 years. She can fly well but only does when she is frightened or startled. She has had a full check up and so far she seems healthy. Nothing showed up on the blood test. So I love her and so happy she is doing well and off all drugs. I have been told this drug is good for a purpose but only for short periods of time. I don't understand why she was on it for so long but it appears all is good and I'm not going to second guest what went on before me. She was well socialized and given lots of love for 14.5 years.

Last edited: