• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Use of Haldol for pluckers -opinions?

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I had never heard of this before but maybe some of you guys with more prevalent Pluckers have been told by a vet to use this medication on your birds. I was very surprised to hear our new addition had been on this medication for about a year.
Do any of you have birds on this?
What are your thoughts on this medication?

-He has had one side effect his previous owner advised me of is he stopped talking soon after being given the meds twice a day. I am Not a fan of medicating for plucking etc.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Long term affect of Haldol is Tardive dyskinesia and is not longer used for LONG term in people. It is a good medication for hallucination especially with hospice patients but that is only for a shorter period of time. I had more sever plucker male ekkie and he ended up having a liver tumor and he died at 6 y/o. The other plucker,not as severe, could be diverted with use of high activity toys such as ropes for spinning, perches with bark on or puzzle toys.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes I am not going to continue to use the meds. I would prefer to change his diet- get him on my bird mash and only fresh foods. Offer different foragers etc and plucker targeted preening toys.
Thanks for the info. Never had an Eckie or any bird for that matter come in our care on that med.

QBird

Jogging around the block
I am not sure I would be keen to use an anti psychotic on a parrot, this drug is a blanket old school drug as well, I'd be worried especially since the bird stopped talking when it was given this. Long term effects as Peggy mentioned would also be a big risk.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've had success .... and not with "pluck no more". Its all natural products, so maybe worth a try. :hug8:

Bartleby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm kind of shocked that they would administer this for a bird. It's a really heavy duty drug. I'm with you and would not want my bird on it, but I would caution that you must be careful in taking him off it. Not sure how long he's been taking it, but I would work with your vet to wean him off. While its not addictive, his body does need time to adjust to functioning without it.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Haldol is used mainly for birds who mutilate their skin and flesh, actually threatening their own life with deep wounds. Myself, I would try everything, including a restrictive collar and even a protective shirt before I would allow use of Haldol. In my opinion it is only good if it stops the bird from killing itself. Was he that bad with his plucking? Hope he does well as he is weaned off the med. It can be a tricky med to get a person off of and I am not sure how a bird would do.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Jasper was on Haldol for about ten days when she had had 1/2 of a toe removed. She would not leave her bandage alone and would pull it off and chew on her toe and she went totally crazy with a collar, so the Dr. put her on Haldol. It was difficult to get the right dosage and she was only on it for a short time. It is not something I would recommend unless there is a great NEED for it, but it worked and her toe had time to heal.

Since she was on for such a short period of time it only took 3/4 days to wean her off.

Last edited:

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Haldol is used mainly for birds who mutilate their skin and flesh, actually threatening their own life with deep wounds. Myself, I would try everything, including a restrictive collar and even a protective shirt before I would allow use of Haldol. In my opinion it is only good if it stops the bird from killing itself. Was he that bad with his plucking? Hope he does well as he is weaned off the med. It can be a tricky med to get a person off of and I am not sure how a bird would do.
nope not bad at all. Just over grooming and a small amount of plucking. No history of mutulation shared. I'm waiting in his vet records

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Haldol is a scary drug. I would never use it for a person or an animal except as a last resort for dangerous behaviors.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am on haldol and a cogentant for side effects it is bad on me and i do not think it would be good for a bird you will need to wean him off slowly

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
i am on haldol and a cogentant for side effects it is bad on me and i do not think it would be good for a bird you will need to wean him off slowly
I sympathize with you. The side effects are horrible.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
oh i have s plucker ever since i had him and unless it is dire to his health i let him pluck

ZoeyFredrik

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Nik
Haldol was one of the medicines that Sam was on when he first started to pluck severely. It did not work. I ended up with Zombie bird. He actually got so looped he tumbled from the top of his cage. He could have gotten hurt, luckily I was right there and was able to help him. He was only on it a lilittle while, it did calm him down, but the side effects were not good. I would say be very cautious using halol with the birdies.

Yoyo'sMom

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
My Rosie who is a re home and also a plucker came to me on this med. I felt like she was very dull so took her off it. I think it has to many side effects and didn't see any benefit as she still plucked.