• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent: transport to the vet?

bonneh

Moving in
Real Name
Bonnie
My budgie Bluebell is reaching old age and in the last 24 hours he is appearing to be taking a turn for the worst. I have made an appointment for a vet to see him in a few hours and they've recommended I bring him in a relatively small box with a secure lid and air holes etc which I am happy to do. My issue is that he's not hand tame, and I'm not 100% sure how to go about getting him out of his cage and into a box without stressing him out or hurting him. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
How big is his regular cage? If it's not too big, maybe you can adjust the perches a little lower (so if he falls while driving the fall won't be from too high) and remove all hanging toys (so they don't bump into him) and take him in his regular cage?

If putting him in a box is going to stress him too much, that's what I'd do. But hopefully someone else has some more ideas for you soon.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Depending on how big/small your current cage is, you might be able to take him in that one. I have a cage that Chirp lived in for the first 2 months he was with me, and now it's his vet cage. It has one rope perch in it, and I put in his food and water. If we need to go somewhere, I get him in and we go. I'll throw a nice warm blanket on top, and he'll be good.

You might be able to bribe him with some millet, or another favorite treat. Or you could try getting him to step onto a perch, then put it in a box/cage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Good luck. I hope you made it to the vets office safely. Its difficult to avoid stressing your bird in this situation.

bonneh

Moving in
Real Name
Bonnie
Thanks for the help guys. His cage is quite big and I have a second budgie in with him but I ended up being able to bribe him to the bottom of his cage with some millet and from there I could gently cover him in a teatowel and get him out of his cage that way.

He had been vomiting blood, but the vet had a look and did some tests and we suspect he's got a crop infection so I've got some anti-nausea meds and antibiotics to give him over the next week so hopefully that does the trick, but he already looks heaps better and is preening properly again and interacting with our other budgie since bringing him back home so fingers crossed it was just a once off because I don't know what I'd do with myself without him