• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent Rehomes - Cockatiel + Princess Parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat H

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
Hello there.

I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time writing out how sad I am about this. Don't think of me as heartless - I am sad, but I've accepted that I have little choice.

My dog has been discovered to be allergic to my birds. It started out fine, then a week later she got an eye infection. We got it medicated for a week, then a week later it came back. We tried again. Then my vet informed me that dogs can be allergic to birds [and cats, and humans, which blows my mind].

Coming down to it, I'm keeping my dog. She's too much emotional support for me to consider giving her up.

I have two birds, a female Cockatiel named Mabel and a male Princess Parrot named Julius.

Mabel was given to me by a friend. She was pet store raised and her new home didn't do much to socialize her. I was working with her on that.

Julius was hand fed, hand raised, etc. I adopted him from an aviary, in hopes that having a social bird would be a good example and source of chill for Mabel. They aren't quite bonded or anything, but they get along on their playgrounds.

I want them to go to good homes, even if it's not the same home. I don't need a rehome fee for Mabel - since she was given to me - but Julius cost me almost 1k in total.

If you can, I'd be appreciative of at least a little of that back. Obviously I'm not looking for anywhere near it back but anything you could possibly offer to help cover all the stuff you'd be getting would be, as I said, appreciated.

Both each come with food [they have separate diets], cage, toys, car carriers, and Julius comes with an aviator flight harness. We were working on harness training.

I live in Destin, FL, and am willing to meet someone halfway by car if necessary, within reason.

I really don't want to have to take this to Craigslist, but I can't keep the birds this close to my dog for very much longer. I hate to see her suffer with her allergies.

I thought I'd try here first.
You all seem lovely <3

I'll add pictures upon approval, and when it stops raining so I can get good lighting.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry you have to rehome them.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Aw, so sorry to hear this. Making a choice between babies is always heartbreaking. You know what's best for you and I wish you all the best and many blessings for a soft landing!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm so sorry you have to make this incredibly hard decision and I wish you all the best in finding them a loving new home.

I have never heard of a dog being allergic to other animals. I guess it's possible but it must be pretty rare.
I wonder - have you ever had your birds leave the home for a few days, (like at a boarding facility or friend's house or something?) Or taken your dog somewhere away from the birds, for a few days? Just to make sure that allergic theory is correct?

I'd hate to see you rehome the birds only to discover that what the vet thought was an allergy to the birds was in fact your dog being allergic to something else.

I mean no disrespect to your vet who said that. I just find it so unusual that I have to wonder if it's correct.

Kat H

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
I monitored it closely after the vet visit.

The only time she gets red eyes that turn into infection/irritation is if I allow her to sit and look at their uncovered cages, which she insists on doing all the time. During a storm, I kept the birds covered to keep them calm, and her eyes were significantly less red.

Since I can't keep the birds covered all the time [or rather, I wouldn't do that to them], I'm wanting to find them nice new places.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry you have to rehome. Have you tried any medication for the allergies?

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
So sorry you have to rehome. I'm currently going through the process of rehoming the dog I raised from 8 weeks and I know it's heartbreaking. I wish I lived less than two days drive away, or I would happily give a home to your little tiel. I hope someone great comes along!

Kat H

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
The only medication available at my vet currently is a very expensive weekly eye ointment that my dog HATES.
I'm not going to do that to her, and quite frankly, I can't afford it for every week of my life.
I could barely afford it twice. Medicine is expensive.

I've explored all of these possibilities. I've done my research. I've tried different things.
I don't have friends in this area. I don't have family who can take them. I have no connections.
I really don't want my decision to be continually questioned.

I'm re-homing my birds.

It's a hard enough thing for me to do without people trying to offer suggestions, while I know already they won't fix the problem.
It adds to my stress, and my anxiety, because of how hard this decision was in the first place.
I'm sorry if I sound rude, but it doesn't help.
It makes me feel worse.

I'm looking for nice places for them. End of story.
I'm even willing to go out of my way to home them somewhere that will make them happy.

At this point, it would be selfish of me to try to keep them. Both for them, and for my dog.
I'm not going to make anyone in this house suffer because I want to try to keep my birds.
I love them. Therefore, I want them to be happy.
I love my dog. I want her to be happy too.

If anyone knows someone, please, let me know.
Otherwise, thank you all for your sympathy and kind intentions, but I've done what I can.
The decision has been made. It has not been made lightly. It has been made with several different points of view, including medical ones.
Please accept and respect this.

Again, I hope this didn't come off as aggressive, but hearing people try to offer their suggestions for me to try to make it work just makes me feel worse.
As for the people simply offering condolences, thank you. I appreciate it <3

Also, before anyone asks "why I got a dog with my birds if I couldn't keep all of them", etc, or whatever variation of the question:
Before this I too had never heard of a dog being allergic to birds, or cats, or rodents, or humans. Apparently, it happens.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Your decision was the correct one...and a heart breaking one.

Hoping you will find a great place for your birds to go to soon...also hoping your dog feels better soon...

Kat H

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
Might have a potential home for Julius, still looking for someone to home the tiel ;w;

Status
Not open for further replies.