• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

URGENT: lowest indoor temp for Cockatoo?

casey&casper

Sprinting down the street
Ahhhhhh a son. That explains how you came to this saying about the doorknob . . . .

:lol:
:ashamed1: Ummmm, well, actually. . ..that's what we used to say when I was a kid. :ashamed3:

Just went outside with my Arctic dog. She was afraid of the white stuff on the porch. :facepalm: Once she got to the ground her genes kicked in and she decided to play Iditarod racer around the 3/4 acre yard for half an hour.

We have between 1/4 and 1/2" so far. It's coming down good, those fat fluffy flakes. I'm going to watch it fall until I collapse or it stops, whichever comes first.

So bread, milk, eggs . . . . truly aren't the essentials of life during snowfalls????? :jawdrop1:
What is with that anyway?? It's a region-wide french toast fetish of some kind. If you're expecting the electricity to go out why buy things that need refrigeration? I've never understood that. Guess that's what I get for being a dam* Yankee. :D

casey&casper

Son just took a ruler outside. An inch of snow and it's still falling. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmmm. I can smell French toast for breakfast. (You did go to store, right?)

My parrots like to share so I use ceylon cinnamon.

casey&casper

Hmmmm. I can smell French toast for breakfast. (You did go to store, right?)

My parrots like to share so I use ceylon cinnamon.
I sent hubs to the store for bottled water, kidney beans for chili tomorrow, a bag of veggies for soup tonight, lamp oil and batteries. He said the shelves are stripped bare where the bread, milk, eggs and potato chips should be. Next year I'm going to start a betting pool on when the bread runs out. ;) Are you Southern born and bred? If so can you explain the french toast thing to me please? Hubs can't, though he's tried.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Born in a tiny town in Missouri near Arkansas border.

Personal fave is biscuits and bacon gravy but that is all bad stuff for parrots. Also like mimosas to go with it!!!!

I think the food thing, seriously, is probably because we need good warm comfort food when bad weather hits. With that in your belly for breakfast you don't mind feeding the critters on the farm.

(I live in the city now and don't have to feed critters)

Can't use my phone to do this stuff. . . .it puts in smilies all by itself and won't let me edit them out! He won't go away!!!!:(

Last edited:

casey&casper

I think the food thing, seriously, is probably because we need good warm comfort food when bad weather hits. With that in your belly for breakfast you don't mind feeding the critters on the farm.

(That's also why I live in the city now)
Hmmmm, that makes sense. It's the best explanation I've heard to date. I'd have thought something like soup or chili or stew would fit but. . ..

Going back out to check conditions. I love it! As long as the electricity stays on, that is.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hmmmm, that makes sense. It's the best explanation I've heard to date. I'd have thought something like soup or chili or stew would fit but. . ..
For breakfast? No wonder your son fixes your door knobs!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Personal fave is biscuits and bacon gravy but that is all bad stuff for parrots. Also like mimosas to go with it!!!!
Bacon gravy?! That sounds awesome!

I love biscuits and sausage gravy with mimosas. That's a Sunday favorite around here :D

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Just to put things into some kind of perspective ... Note: I'm Not promoting doing this to your parrots on a regular basis :p

The wild cockatoos here in Melbourne, Australia frequently have to put up with temperatures under 10°C (50°F) in winter and occasionally down to near 0°C (32°F) overnight and they cope fine. As has been said, as long as it's not a prolonged *sudden* exposure and they have shelter they'll be OK.

(I'll never forget my poor poor 'tiel many years ago back in Germany when I'd forgotten to close a window overnight in -15°C (5.0°F) temperatures :facepalm: :jawdrop1: ... You've never seen a true ball of puffed up feathers until you saw what that poor boy looked like in the morning! He was fine, Thank Heavens!!!)

casey&casper

For breakfast? No wonder your son fixes your door knobs!
Is that what I've been doing wrong all this time? :facepalm:

Eight am and we still have electricity--yay! Cloudy and cold but the snow has stopped. We have 1.5" with that 1/8th" layer of ice beneath. I think it's going to stay around today but start melting tomorrow.

Kids are out of school today and hubs is staying home from work so it's Saturday on Hump Day. We're going to make the most of it. :D

Just to put things into some kind of perspective ... Note: I'm Not promoting doing this to your parrots on a regular basis :p

The wild cockatoos here in Melbourne, Australia frequently have to put up with temperatures under 10°C (50°F) in winter and occasionally down to near 0°C (32°F) overnight and they cope fine. As has been said, as long as it's not a prolonged *sudden* exposure and they have shelter they'll be OK.

That is excellent information, thank you! I had no idea what conditions 'toos experience in the wild. Hopefully, since the lights are on this morning, there will be no need to evacuate the birds.

(I'll never forget my poor poor 'tiel many years ago back in Germany when I'd forgotten to close a window overnight in -15°C (5.0°F) temperatures :facepalm: :jawdrop1: ... You've never seen a true ball of puffed up feathers until you saw what that poor boy looked like in the morning! He was fine, Thank Heavens!!!)
:laugh: I can imagine!

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I'm sure I'm just being paranoid about the wood stove.
If I have to cook it all on the grill and stuff him 'till he's sick, that might work too.

Never happen. He'll be overjoyed at the bonanza. :rofl:

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
So bread, milk, eggs . . . . truly aren't the essentials of life during snowfalls????? :jawdrop1:
I always say that we should get margarita makings. That way we won't get scurvy, and if we drink enough tequila, we won't really care if we don't have power. :laugh: