• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Urgent advice needed for Mousey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
I'm heart sore and don't know what to do!!! When Mousey is outside he talks to his parents and they talk back. Very rarely do I see the mousebirds close to the ground (except when they roll in the sand) but one keeps coming very close to Mousey's cage and I don't know what to do. Should I open the cage and let nature decide what happens or should I keep Mousey indoors away from the parents. I really want to do what's best for Mousey and if he could be free and fly with the rest of the family it would be wonderful - but would that be the right thing to do after having hand reared him for two weeks? Will they accept him or attack him? Will they feed him too? Help - I really don't know what's the right decision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: Oh :o: I'm not sure what is the right thing to do, but I can't imagine that either option will be easy for you :hug8:
Thinking positive thoughts for a great outcome for all parties involved.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh gosh, I have no input as I don't know the flock dynamics of Mousebirds at all...I did send this thread to Susanne though, so I'm hoping we'll get a response soon :hug8:

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yikes!...hard decision. OK...from my links page I would suggest you talk to Barry...he would know best what to do. As to a release alot has to do with if the bird is in good weight, and how adept is it at flying? IF, the wild WB are parents or flock members they will hang on the side of the cage and try to feed Mousey thru the cage bars. Are you seeing this. Also see if you can find a very old, used copy of Kiki the Mousebird. It is a story of a foundling Speckled that a lady raised, and Lynns efforts on trying to encourage Kiki to join up with the wild mousebirds....
----------------
ATTENTION:If you live in South Africa and have found an orphaned mousebird baby and need advice on what to feed, wean and care for it you can contact:

Email:
[EMAIL="willibi@absamail.co.za"]willibi@absamail.co.za
OR[/EMAIL]
Please call Barry: 0834434913
Fallen Feathers Avian Rehabilitation Centre
Gauteng, for help with wild indigenous birds only, in South Africa. all hours.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Aww..that is a tough one. How does Mousy act, still friendly towards you?

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
He seems to chat back but comes straight to me when I'm there. He has started flying short distances in the house but it's mainly to find me because all he wants are 'tickles'....................... The other MB's have not yet come right down to the cage but that's probably because we're there. Mousey is normally with me if I'm out so there's no opportunity there. Should Mousey fly away at some stage then I need to accept what happens (with be quite painful though!) but until I'm sure he's fit and strong enough to get up to where the MB's nest then he will be closely guarded!!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That sounds fair. He may choose to go, but could just as easily decide to stay on with you. Thanks for caring enough to be prepared if he should decide to join the flock.:hug8:

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Hello T!

No, what is best for you and the MB baby is to keep it going as you've done!

I really think it is too risky to let Mousey be reunited. It sounds pretty cruel. And it is! We're in such a dilemma after crossing the natural barriers, but see it also as an awesome privilege to act like a steward for Mousey.

Let's focus in making Mousey strong before releasing it to nature.

The emotions to set it free is normal and good. The emotions once it is released will be tremendous! The joy to see it being released in a healthy condition far exceeds the nagging thoughts of a speedy release to nature.

Mousey is with you. Take care of it. It's day will come and Mousey will thank you for your courage!

So be strong and make Mousey strong:dance5:

This is my honest opinion! I so wish I've seen this sooner, but it's not too late... I hope:hug8:

Have fun

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
No not too late. This is so heartbreaking but my instincts are following the same direction as your advice. Yesterday and today Mousey didn't want to take much from my feeding and I felt a bit worried. He took some banana and grape but that was all. He didn't want to take any formula from the syringe which was very strange. Now I think I know why. Today I have witnessed that the other MB's are feeding mousey. This can only have been the past two days when I have left Mousey in his big cage outside because he wasn't coping in the smaller cage at work. I have watched closely and they are definitely feeding him which is great. I was tempted to open the cage today but my gut feel was not to. Mousey is able to fly short distances probably about 3 or 4 feet so I'm not sure he's ready to face the wild, or an evening without his hot water bottle!! I would like to give it one more week and maybe let him out next weekend as I'm sure he'll be a lot stronger by then. I just hope the other MB's keep feeding him during the day. Do you think this sounds like a good plan??????

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
That is amazing that they are feeding him!:eek: Is there any way you might be able to sneak a pic? Please keep us updated. My instinct would be to keep Mousey until he can definitely fly and lift. Maybe practice flights a few times a day. Gryphon will fly and land on my head if I call him. Will Mousey come to you if you stand away at a distance?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...that is good that the wilf Mousebirds are feeding him. This way you know that if he did escape or was released (once he has full strength) they will look out for him.

While he is in the house, encourage him to fly because this will help build up the muscles needed for flying, strength and add some weight to him.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Wow what an adventure!

I support the idea for some photographs of 'wild' mousebirds feeding Mousey! You have to be discreet, cause they will fly away when you show yourself. Use your cellphone and video this unique event. And post it here!

Mousey is most definitely entering the fledgling stage if it start flapping and flying. Almost 14 days or bit older? Mousey will climb along the bars of the bird cage. It's easy for 'outside MBs' to feed Mousey through the bars. But please watch out for birds like Shrikes that might attack it from the outside!

With me there is nice interaction between Pike and young Ike. However, Pike does not feed Ike. I keep them separated otherwise Ike's begging will drive Pike crazy!

It clearly shows there is a bright future for Mousey in your garden! So let's complete the feeding strategy for Mousey until it matures nicely. Well done T! I would say until Mousey can fly very well about 1 month down the line from now. Nevertheless with all that bird interaction Mousey might be released within another 3 weeks soonest.

May I suggest a 'fast food' but very healthy feeding scheme.

Buy PURITY baby fruit flavors like banana, butternut, vegetables, apple, pear etc. Buy a DROPPER at a pharmacy. Syringes is difficult with the small openings at the front. Chunks of food does not flow through small holes. It tends to resist downward squeezing pressure. Sometimes the baby bird gets a huge burst of food when food suddenly dislodge from syringes. Not too pleasant.

Mix a banana flavor with 2 other flavors. Mix it well. I add sometimes 100% pure apple juice - a little when butternut or vegetable flavors are used. Always level it out with a banana flavor and not only Vit C stuff. You can add some "Fruit of the Forrest" yoghurt - 1 teaspoon. Mix it all.

I start in the morning making a batch that will last the whole day. This I refrigerate. Warm up a spoon full and drop substance into the dropper. Microwave for 5 sec - not too hot. Don't feed ice-cold food to baby birdies.

This is a very simple feeding scheme. You can keep it up until it's release. Easy too handle. Not complicated. Best the birdie will survive. As it matures you can always leave fruits like banana or papaya in the cage while at work.

In my opinion release Mousey almost by the end of February. Not a moment too soon.

Make sure Mousey does not take in direct sun while you are away. Hope this is helpful, and look at all those nice SA contacts for more information.

Have fun

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Sarel...I need to comment here. Mousey has to be totally weaned off of the baby food, and able to eat from whole chunks and peices of fruit. There is no pureed and readily available foods in the wild, so the bird will have to be familiar with the types of fruits and berries, and flowers and greens/leaves it would find in the wild.

An observation of what the parents and wild birds are eating will give an idea on what to offer Mousey in the cage. If the wild birds are eating flowers it is for the pollen that is on the stamia (sp) which is a good source of protein for them. Many mousebirds will eat green tender leave towards the end of the day because it moves slower through the digestive tract, and in doing so is still supplying them some energy while sleeping. If you have a peach tree in the area, at early evening you can clip some young, tender peach leaves in the cage for Mousey to become familiar with and nibble on.

The more available garden and other foods offerred the better Mousey will be if it has been introduced to these prior to release.

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
Yes, he flies to my head, shoulder and arm if I hold it out. I stand max 4 feet away from him and after a few tries he usually lands somewhere around my tummy so I don't think he's quite strong enough to keep up with the others. I did try to take a couple of pictures but they are very clever birds and know when I'm coming!!! There are usually two on his cage and at one stage they stayed there for quite some time before flying off. I think one more week should do the trick but I am worried about the feeding as Mousey is not keen to feed from me anymore. I stuck a banana through his cage which he pecked on but didn't eat much. He's no longer keen on the syringe and generally just wants to be tickled when he's with me - he's so cute! I hope that whatever the others are feeding him is sufficient. I'll keep trying to get a nice piccy and will keep you posted on progress.

Teresa CTN

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Teresa Fryer
Wow guys - this info is so helpful. End Feb seems to be when I need to consider releasing. He is taking small bits of fruit from the end of my fingers but not too much, and mainly only the banana. I am feeding purity fruits but will also try some variations as you mentioned above. Apart from Avo which I know not to give to birds, is there anything else that I must NEVER feed my birds - I'd rather be safe than sorry! Someone did mention watermelon but not sure what the reason for this fruit is.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I had mentioned not to feed watermelon, because it is too fiborous an might impact inside the bird. BUT, when I got my Speckled from Seaworld last fall they had included watermeleon in with their mixed fruit, so I have since offerred a small peice a couple times a month.

It was someone from Africa that had told me to avoid watermelon because it is so fiborous and pulpy and could cause problems.

To err on the cautous side look around you in a 10 mile radius to see what types of fruits berries, and flowers are being eaten by the wild birds.

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Hi Susanne... I agree fully with your recommendations regarding Mousey being weaned off from baby food to food sources more familiar and available in and around the area.

Somehow it can be very difficult to determine exactly what MBs eat in our gardens. In my area there is not much fruit trees like peach trees that provide a sort of obvious choice for food. However, we have gardens in the area with grapes, figs and mulberry trees and trees with wild berries. The MBs, mostly Speckled MBs thrives in our area on green matter and are very healthy and big! I often ask people who notices MBs in their gardens what trees or plants they like to visit. By doing this one get some understanding about their diet.

Introducing Mousey to young leaves of edible plants in the habitat is great.

Baby food is really only in my opinion a 'quick fix' for raising baby MB birds. Pike was rescued and initially raised only on ProNutro by people who had no idea what to feed it! How Pike survived porridge is amazing. Also the people who 'rescued' Ike when he was about 7 days old did not feed him for 24 hours!

Therefore people who are not sure what to feed MBs can buy baby food to start off. Also people must be extremely patient when hand feeding for the first time.

Mousey stands a very positive chance from what we observe here to be reintegrated with its members. By introducing leaves and flowers to nibble on will help it tremendously. Therefore one should review each bird's rescue attempt independently. What works for Mousey will not necessary work for other birdies far removed from their members and area.

Raising MB chicks with 'common fruits' and releasing them back into the wild without those common food resources nearby will probably be the end of the bird's survival, unless instinct kicks in. Someone recommend to me that Ike will be better off as a pet, which I am willing to keep with Pike. Pike and Ike are too far removed from their original members and luckily happens to be good friends. Although I still monitor their friendship!

Suzanne's dedicated website is absolutely unique and a treasure. Thank you for your recommendations and tremendous caring attitude!!!

Sarel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarel de Wet
Oh wow! Thanks for that lovely link!

You see, how ProNutro sometimes becomes an instant food source for strayed chicks. I am so happy Owl is safe and the story is wonderfully written. I think Spike's death was caused by some 'fatal crop infection'? What we'll never know. So what else concerning MBs did you get on the Net?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
I think Spike's death was caused by some 'fatal crop infection'? What we'll never know. So what else concerning MBs did you get on the Net?
----------------------------------------------------

I add a pinch of cinnamon (helps against bacteria) and probiotics (for good intestinal flora) in my mousebirds formula. BUT, mousebird do not have a crop, so they can not get crop infections. What they have is an expandible esphogus, which does not hold much, and the food goes into the digestive system quickly. Whereas if they did have a crop then they would gorge themselves on food that could sit in a crop and develop bacteria and yeast.

I was just checking the internet to see if any new info on the Speckled had been added.

I also got a reply from a lady that had a beautiful photo of white-backed I would like to use. She has lots of mousebirds visiting her garden so I would like to ask her if she can take pix's of them and maybe join here and start a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.