• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Upgraded cages, ran into a problem

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
So, when upgrading cages, it didn't occur to me that I might run into an issue of getting the budgies into the new cage. The cages being different colors doesn't help (white vs black).

I had to cover their old one with a sheet to "hide" it until I can break it down and get it out of the bird room because they kept landing on it. I moved the new old to the same place the old one was, but they refused to get near it.

I did have the brilliant idea to stick the tiels in the new cage, which helped some - the budgies wouldn't go in the cage still, but they at least landed on the cage.

But the question remains - how do I get them inside? There's no way to dim lights (large window, no curtain). Think they'll make it in on their own this evening?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If their food is in there, I would think so! I usually keep untame birds in the new cage for at least a few days until they realize they live there :lol:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Can you put others back in their cages remove all food outside cage have favourite food treats in cage hopefully they get hungry and will go in

how dark does the room get ? Maybe your going to have to wait it out until dark and towel them in dark to get them into cage if they don’t willing go back in by nighttime last option I would use but I had to do it before with olive when she refused to return to her cage once she didn’t like me even more for a few days after had to gain back trust

how do you normally get them back in ?

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Can you put others back in their cages remove all food outside cage have favourite food treats in cage hopefully they get hungry and will go in

how dark does the room get ? Maybe your going to have to wait it out until dark and towel them in dark to get them into cage if they don’t willing go back in by nighttime last option I would use but I had to do it before with olive when she refused to return to her cage once she didn’t like me even more for a few days after had to gain back trust

how do you normally get them back in ?
In the white cage, they just went back in at night - I had Davey first, where I did what @Mizzely does and popped him from the travel cage into there for a week until he was good to go. Tito was the same way - travel cage to white cage - but I think he was also easier because Davey was already there, so he went right into it because it had a built in friend.

Tito is the braver of the two, but if he won't go in, Davey won't either. And they're both fully flighted, so toweling is going to be... Probably hilarious, because it'll just be me trying and missing because they took off, lol.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
In the white cage, they just went back in at night - I had Davey first, where I did what @Mizzely does and popped him from the travel cage into there for a week until he was good to go. Tito was the same way - travel cage to white cage - but I think he was also easier because Davey was already there, so he went right into it because it had a built in friend.

Tito is the braver of the two, but if he won't go in, Davey won't either. And they're both fully flighted, so toweling is going to be... Probably hilarious, because it'll just be me trying and missing because they took off, lol.
Do it in the dark not light if you chase them with a towel in light they will be scared of you in dark they can’t really see so they stay still it’s just hard for us trying to see them in dark haha :rofl: They are like freedom screw your cage upgrade wondering if you are thinking yet why did I bother hahao_O

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Oh my gracious!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Would they follow millet spray in there? Or some other treat? Fave toy? Fave sexy toy? Something they really like...

Let us know how you get on, we're invested and very curious! :)

:popcorn2:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Love the popcorn emoji

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Oops forgot to add;
e was also easier because Davey was already there, so he went right into it because it had a built in friend.
That's how I got Aldora into the new stacked cages last year.
I placed all the birds in/let them hop off my hand into their new cage, but for Aldora I put her Jaime in there and she just followed.
So if you have to towel later, get Davey in there first.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would simply trap them (towel, old cage or whatever else safely works) and lovingly shove them into the new cage and then I would not let them out for a while till they seem to feel comfy and at home with the new surroundings- I say this as I have tried for probably 4 years now to patiently switch Burt (at his leisure) to his new cage by letting him get used to it, feeding treats in it etc and guess what cage he still refuses to enter??? Very soon he will be given no choice as he has destroyed the old cage terribly (I am ashamed he is still in it TBH) and I am honestly dreading the carry on- kinda reminds me of trying to make my son wear shoes or long sleeves and pants... even after years of commitment at trying I lost :rolleyes: :laugh:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I got them in there - it was shockingly easy haha

I kept the old cage covered, covered pretty much everything in the room, and gave them no choice about where to land :roflmao: and then put in a little of the cockatiel food, since they're little thieves and are always in the tiel cage for it. And boom, in they went!

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
And they're both fully flighted, so toweling is going to be... Probably hilarious, because it'll just be me trying and missing because they took off, lol.
Sounds like that scene should be set to Benny Hill music...... :D

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Once the room is dark, would putting a lamp on their cage be an option? They should go to the brightest spot, then the food may entice them inside….just a thought :think1:

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Once the room is dark, would putting a lamp on their cage be an option? They should go to the brightest spot, then the food may entice them inside….just a thought :think1:
They ended up going in :D