• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Updating Macaw Room Again

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I couldnt reply to my old thread so here it is! Bird Room Project: Advice Requested | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum :sigh:

Alright! Im back. The aluminum wall tiles do not work with motivated macaws and they will pull them off piece by piece. The walls look like such a mess

Here we go! Things that actually do work:
1. Fridge cover to keep the mini fridge safe
2. Air filters on the floor
3. Mini split unit 12,000BTU covered by a powder coated custom metal cage. She completely tried to destroy it before I covered it.
4. Hanging food station
5. Chairs (easier to clean than the couch)

Do not use:
1. Wallpaper, aluminum peel and stick wall tile/backsplash, drywall,
2. Window AC unit. Not only does it need to be protected but it doesn't heat or cool the room efficiently.
3. Bamboo, hard wood cabinet to hold gravity water feeder, it will get destroyed
4. mesh screen behind windows. When the windows are open, even for a few minutes, they will chew it.
5. Bright LED lights. I noticed the ceiling lights impact embers vision so I covered half of them with paper.
6. Staples-ya...they wont stay in

Has anyone used this for birdroom walls? Lifeproof Trail Oak 6 MIL x 8.7 in. W x 48 in. L Click Lock Waterproof Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring (20.1 sqft/case) I96713L - The Home Depot or do you think this would work better? MSI Mix River Rock 12 in. x 12 in. Textured Marble Floor and Wall Mosaic Tile (1 sq. ft. / each) PEB-MIXRVR - The Home Depot, Daltile Ayers Rock Rustic Remnant 13 in. x 13 in. Glazed Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile (16 sq. ft. / case) AY0513131P - The Home Depot (rock on bottom and smooth surface on top half of wall)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Why couldn’t you reply to your old thread?

I’m thinking of getting some shower wall material to cover Burt’s wall behind his cage as he chewed it up the first day he was in there when I pushed the cage too close to the wall :confused:

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
Why couldn’t you reply to your old thread?

I’m thinking of getting some shower wall material to cover Burt’s wall behind his cage as he chewed it up the first day he was in there when I pushed the cage too close to the wall :confused:
It said "oops we ran into some problems" and then stated it couldn't be bumped because the thread was over a year old and didn't need further discussion. I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a new one.

I have tried the shower material before and they were definitely able to get at it lol. I wish you luck with your wallproofing as well! :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It said "oops we ran into some problems" and then stated it couldn't be bumped because the thread was over a year old and didn't need further discussion. I figured it wouldn't hurt to make a new one.

I have tried the shower material before and they were definitely able to get at it lol. I wish you luck with your wallproofing as well! :)
Oh no!! How did they get a hold of the shower wall sheets? The ones I am looking at would cover the whole wall from floor to ceiling.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I love following projects! We need pictures! And of the remodel raiders

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I think they were able to reach over from some of their hanging rope perches or by climbing the window curtains. They poked holes in them and would pull the nails and staples out (stainless steel). I tried to get most of the nails into the stud but due to spacing, some were nailed into the drywall which didn't last long at all. I have tried regular curtains on the wall, shower curtains, peel and stick tiles, and wallpaper but they always get their beak underneath.

Lol! With the state that the room is in right now pictures may have to wait:laughing2: However, I do plan to complete the remodeling by September or the end of the year at the latest. In addition, the mice problem was due to a gap in the barn doors since they weren't built in properly. We plan to replace those with nice Arcadia doors. I will keep this thread updated on any progress!

So far materials will cost roughly 4000$ so we are working it into our budget.

Fumbles is such a destructo-bird