• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

<UPDATE Post 67>Tequila Is Going To the Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Re: Tequila Is Going To the Vet

Woohoo, glad he is better, I hope he continues to improve and the blood work comes back normal. Stay strong little guy I will keep you in my thoughts! :hug8::heart:

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen

Awww it's so nice to hear he's feeling better :D :hug8:'s for you Pat, you're a wonderful parront :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

I am glad that he seems better!

Matt

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan

Sending positive vibes Tequila is all better real soon.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG

glad to hear that he feels better this morning Pat! :dance4:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat

Well I got the bloodwork back today..
The vet said his bloodwork values do indicate he had/has an infection so he is having me give the baytril for 14 days. The other things he noted were that Tequila's cholesterol is a tad high, which he said could be corrected with diet. The other thing is his calcium is high. He felt this could be caused from a few different things:
1. Getting a lot of vitamin D, which is causing him to absorb a lot of calcium
2. That Tequila may not be a boy, and if he is a girl may be ready to lay eggs. :eek:
3. Or worse case scenario that it could possibly be some sort of Cancer. :(
So we are going to retest his blood in a month and depending on how it looks will go from there. He said the next step would be to DNA sex him to know for sure if he is a he or a she. :)
So of course my mind is racing thinking "am I doing something in their diet that is causing too much calcium absorbtion?
I do add Twin beaks crushed eggshells to the birdy bread and my rice mixture, maybe I should not?
He has a new Featherbrite light over his cage. Is the light that much better that it is causing him to absorb more calcium?
He does eat fresh foods daily, Kathie's Custom Blends, Caribbean Bounty, and he has Harrisons and TOPS pellets. I will say he LOVES his pumpkin seeds but from what I see I dont think they are harmful. Should I cut back on the pumpkin seeds?
Overall I think he is doing really well. His appetite is good, his activity level is good and his weight is staying level, within a gram of when this started.
I dont have the hardcopy of the bloodwork yet but should have it by tomorrow or the next day. The vet was happy to hear my update so I think the Baytril is doing its job. He is also being a little trooper about taking his meds.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
so glad Tequila is responding to the antibiotics, Pat :heart::heart:
That's great he's not fighting you now!:D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Any thoughts on the diet Saroj?
One time Jackson was also diagnosed with excess calcium and the vet had me remove the calcium block. Fast forward a year and she gets diagnosed with a calcium deficiency and has to go on daily prescription calcium to build it back up. So perhaps not add eggshells for a while and see what the next bloodwork reads? :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Interesting. Thanks Saroj. I looked at his bloodwork from Jan 2010 and it was on the low side. From what I have read on pumpkin seeds they dont seem like a bad thing for him to have. None of my birds get sunflower seeds, never have fed them.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If his calcium is high you might just not add the egg shells for a while, no need to at this point and it might help lower his levels if you eliminate them.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Just reading through this Pat. Sorry to hear that Tequila has not been feeling well :hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so glad he is doing better on his antibiotics. I hope his diet changes show improvement on his next blood test!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Very interesting diagnosis, Pat. Hopefully it's just too much of a good thing and not cancer. I would also eliminate the egg shells.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
So happy he is OK, I hope everything else is OK. Your fids are always in my prays:hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
If his calcium is high you might just not add the egg shells for a while, no need to at this point and it might help lower his levels if you eliminate them.

I agree JR. I am going to make another batch of birdy bread and rice without the extra calcium. :hug8:Thank you guys. This morning before I woke up I had a dream that I found out Tequila was a girl! I am wondering if he is and will have the DNA test done when we redo the bloodwork. Do females gain weight during breeding season? Since I have had Tequila he has always put on weight in the spring and summer and then drops weight through the fall and winter. This kind of sounds like something a female bird would do perhaps in preparation for breeding season.

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad Tequila is doing better:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.