• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

*Update Post #29* My cat Theo is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Aw, Crys. I hope Theo improves. My Spook kitty had a GI bug a few months ago. It was just awful - she vomited about a dozen times a day, wasn't eating, was lethargic... We were sure she'd ingested something and had an impaction, or a tumor, or SOMETHING. But it was just a stomach bug. So they CAN come down with a bad bug for a few days, like we can.. That bloodwork is definitely weird, though. I hope your vet figures out what's going on with him, and that it isn't serious.:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am glad you are happy with the care from the new vet, it sounds like they were very thorough and that's what you need

sending prayers and healing energy that Theo is improved by morning :sadhug:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Everyone can get bugs, my little dog had a bad stomach bug a few weeks ago and seemed very sick. I really hope that's all it is. The low white blood cell count is very strange....

When is the last time Theo had a blood panel done? It is possible his white blood cell count has always been low (due to some other reason), and this is why he got so sick.

Just trying to throw ideas out there! I really wish you had an answer and I really hope Theo is feeling better soon.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Oh - I had another thought. Theo had fleas recently, right? Fleas can transfer several diseases. Did you mention that to the vet? I'm not sure how they check for things like that.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Kacy. I did mention the flea treatment to him and he did not seem concerned about that. Theo has never had a blood panel, just his yearly shots, my vet never suggested it.
I hope it is just a bad stomach bug, although it will be a very expensive one.

This is one of those times when a savings account for your pets is important because I don't have one.

Chicobo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin

Thank you,
And yes I was NOT impressed with the ER Vet. She spent all of 10 minutes with him and sent me home with the meds and it was $200!!! I knew it was more serious but thought maybe I was over reacting.
But today when he was the same I called my normal vet who proceeded to tell me the Dr. was on lunch and call back in an hour:mad:
I was pissed, so I called another vet and they got me in right away and were so great with him and me. I will be transferring all my cats records to this new vet and letting my old vet know why.
That's the worst :/ I remember when I took CC to the vet I take Ood to, because I figured, they were great with my guinea pigs and cat, why not with a bird? Nope, no go! So I take Ood to them still, because they're GREAT with cats, but CC goes to the veterinary hospital in town because they know birds much better. It's always frustrating to feel like your vet isn't listening to you, and not all vets are equal! Don't let them push you around, I'm glad you're standing up for yourself and your kitty! I think the smartest thing anyone ever told me was that I should always go with my gut, like I would if I were sick myself or my child were sick. You know what's normal for your cat, and your instincts will tell you what to do; trust them, because most people's guts are right. It's unfortunate that we have to be such "insistent" patients, and that doctors are so quick to throw meds at problems without asking the right questions, but it seems like it's something we will just all have to deal with, for now.

Btw, have you considered investing in a pet insurance policy? I have Pet Plan and I love it, really takes the stress out of owning a cat who eats all kinds of weird junk, because I know I'd be reimbursed if we ended up with a $5000 bill!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope Theo is feeling better tomorrow :hug8:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Good news is Theo is up and moving around. He even ate some treats though I still have not seen him eat food. But he is walking around and purring which he has not done since Wed. He looks less miserable too. I am feeling much better about it being just a stomach thing. He is still nauseas as he is drooling all over himself but the fact that he is actually not just laying there like a lump all day is very promising.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am glad to hear he is a little better today Crystal - sending continued prayers and healing energy for him :hug2:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
So glad to hear he is feeling a bit better today!! I really hope he continues to feel better and better as the day goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.