• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

*Update Post #29* My cat Theo is sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I just got back from the emergency vet with my kitty Theo. He did not come for his treat this morning which is VERY weird. I figured he was not feeling well, so I went to work and came home and he was still sleeping and not wanting his treats. then he started vomiting white foam all over the place. I thought maybe a hairball but then he used the litter box and it was red mucous like stool :( I took him to the ER Vet and they gave him fluids and sent me home with meds. She said he may just have a GI issue and if in 24hrs he is not eating or responding to meds to bring him back in for more invasive testing.

So please pray for my baby that it is nothing serious and he feels better tomorrow. I am so worried about him, he is my baby.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,poor Theo. Many good thoughts and prayers for a swift recovery.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope Theo is feeing better soon. A hug for Theo and a hug for you too. :sadhug:

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
:hug8: What meds did they send you home with? Could he have gotten into something he shouldn't have? If he hasn't perked back up in a day or so, your regular cat vet should at the very least examine a stool sample and do a CBC.

How is he doing now? Is he eating?

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Theodore..Please get better soon!:hug8:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: What meds did they send you home with? Could he have gotten into something he shouldn't have? If he hasn't perked back up in a day or so, your regular cat vet should at the very least examine a stool sample and do a CBC.

How is he doing now? Is he eating?
They did a rectal exam and she said it was ok. She sent me home with Metronidazole to give him twice a day.

Since coming home he has not moved from his spot or eaten or drank anything. I am really worried about him.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
can you give him wet food? will he like that? it might entice him to eat, even warm it up for him too as this appeals to a lot of cats. it brings the smell out more and its soothing for the stomach. not too warm though. go with a chicken one, chicken is easy on the stomach

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Some cats cannot go long without eating, their liver doesn't do well.

Here's something I found: Many cats can go weeks without eating before they go into hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease). Other cats may only survive 3-5 days before the disease kicks in. It depends a lot on how fat the cat is/ was. A very overweight cat will go into hepatic lipidosis faster than a cat that was in shape.

So if Theo hasn't eaten tomorrow I would rush him back to the vet and get some tests done. Did the vet talk about doing an xray to see if there's a blockage in the intestines? And check Theo for signs of jaundice too.

:sadhug2:Hugs to you

Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
thanks guys. I just moved him from the couch to my bed. I feel better with him sleeping next to me. He is just not moving, laying in the exact position I sat him on the bed and just looks so miserable. I feel so bad for him. She said his vitals were normal, he did not have a sore abdomen. they gave him fluid under the skin and an injection to control the nausea. The vet discussed doing testing if he has not eaten in the next 24 hrs. I don't get it, he was perfectly fine yesterday. He eats the same things everyday so I can rule out food upsetting him. Neither cat likes table food so they never get any.

I really hope he is just sick like we get sometimes.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
He is not any better this morning. He vomited up the medicine I gave him this morning.
:(

They said wait 24 hrs but I am calling my vet anyways, I think he should have improved some by now.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry,I hope the vet is able to help him :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am sorry he is still not any better this morning, if it were me, I would be calling as soon as they opened too.

please keep us updated today :hug2:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates?

LovieLuvr

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christina
I'm sorry to hear about your cat. :( I'll keep you both in my prayers

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Just seeing this. How is Theo doing now? I'm afraid something is very wrong with those symptoms. I'm concerned since we haven't heard from you since this morning. :sadhug2:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Just got back from spending 4 hours at the vets office. He is still really sick. X-rays showed large mucous and fluid build up which the vet said was expected with a severe GI viral. All blood work is fine except his white blood cell count is really low which the vet said was unusual with a viral infection. He asked about distemper shots, He said the only time he has ever seen a cat with such a GI issue and low white blood cell count is when they have the feline distemper virus. But since Theo has been vaccinated with it, it can't be that or it would be extremely rare. But I am going to drop off some stool for testing tonight, just to be safe and rule it out.

They gave him fluids again, sent me home with the fluids and extra needles in case I need to give him more tomorrow.
Right now he wants to see if antibiotics and fluids will help him get over this and again if no improvement in 24 hrs come back.

Not sure what they would try next though as all his bloodwork came back ok with the exception of the white blood cell count.
He looks so miserable. All he is doing is laying there and drooling all over himself because he is nauseas. My poor baby:(

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
:hug8:

I agree with Marie. Cats eat all KINDS of weird stuff, could he have ingested a rubber band, hair tie, poisonous object? I don't like that the ER vet sent a cat home in that condition, did they do x-rays? When Ood chewed up some Christmas lights, my vet wanted to take x-rays; we only didn't because I found the bulbs I thought he'd eaten on the floor later that day and he never missed a beat or got lethargic. Cats can get dehydrated EXTREMELY quickly when they're throwing up, because they get most of their water from their food. That's why sick kitties do best on wet food (as was mentioned already). I would definitely go back to the ER vet if you have to. INSIST that they take a closer look. Sometimes they will send you away because they think they know the answer, but remember, he's YOUR pet, YOU know him best and this doesn't sound normal at all!

Sending you good thoughts!

EDIT: Ooops, just saw your reply, you posted right before I did! You can disregard what I said above.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Sorry for waiting so long to update, I was literally at the vets from 12-4 and my cell has no internet access. Thank you for caring:hug8:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:hug8:

I agree with Marie. Cats eat all KINDS of weird stuff, could he have ingested a rubber band, hair tie, poisonous object? I don't like that the ER vet sent a cat home in that condition, did they do x-rays? When Ood chewed up some Christmas lights, my vet wanted to take x-rays; we only didn't because I found the bulbs I thought he'd eaten on the floor later that day and he never missed a beat or got lethargic. Cats can get dehydrated EXTREMELY quickly when they're throwing up, because they get most of their water from their food. That's why sick kitties do best on wet food (as was mentioned already). I would definitely go back to the ER vet if you have to. INSIST that they take a closer look. Sometimes they will send you away because they think they know the answer, but remember, he's YOUR pet, YOU know him best and this doesn't sound normal at all!

Sending you good thoughts!

EDIT: Ooops, just saw your reply, you posted right before I did! You can disregard what I said above.
Thank you,
And yes I was NOT impressed with the ER Vet. She spent all of 10 minutes with him and sent me home with the meds and it was $200!!! I knew it was more serious but thought maybe I was over reacting.
But today when he was the same I called my normal vet who proceeded to tell me the Dr. was on lunch and call back in an hour:mad:
I was pissed, so I called another vet and they got me in right away and were so great with him and me. I will be transferring all my cats records to this new vet and letting my old vet know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.