• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Smokey.

TheShah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanveer
Hello people.
First off there’s a lot of learned from this forum about tiels and I thank each and every one of you for that. Situation with Smokey. He’s a happy bird and he hasn’t had any night freights after the first night so that’s great. His relationship with me; he is fine when I’m around him and he will eat out of my hand if I bring food close to him. He is still cautious when I bring my hand close to him tho, so I am still taking it slow. It’s been about 3 weeks since he’s been with me. Any advice as to what I can do to get him comfortable with me? I know it’ll take time, but any excersises I can do to build a stronger relationship would be helpful. Thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad Smokey is going well. I would keep doing what you're doing. Hand feed him treats and just spend time sitting with him. I even used to read to my cockatiel to get him used to me and my voice in a nonthreatening way. Just try to take things at his pace. :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Try not bringing the food all the way to him but have him come a short distance to get the food. Increase the distance slowly.
It is his decision to come get the food or not. There are consequences if he doesn't want to move to get the food.
This starts getting him to work with you and not have everything done for him.
You can then move the food in a circle and give him a cue for that and so he spins in a circle for the food and can associate that with the cue.
This is all a variation on something called positive reinforcement or clicker training if you want to look up more about it here on the forum or internet. (it's actually a bit more like 'luring' working it this way, but it's a way to start).

Last edited:

TheShah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanveer
Try not bringing the food all the way to him but have him come a short distance to get the food. Increase the distance slowly.
It is his decision to come get the food or not. There are consequences if he doesn't want to move to get the food.
This starts getting him to work with you and not have everything done for him.
You can then move the food in a circle and give him a cue for that and so he spins in a circle for the food and can associate that with the cue.
This is all a variation on something called positive reinforcement or clicker training if you want to look up more about it here on the forum or internet. (it's actually a bit more like 'luring' working it this way, but it's a way to start).
I will definitely try this! I’ll also look more into how to work with positive reinforcement as well. Thank you

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great update on Smokey, and I’m glad he’s settling in so nicely! In addition to keep doing things like sitting near his cage and interacting with him in a non-threatening manner, I was also going to suggest training. You can do target training and simple tricks, which will help build your relationship.

TheShah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanveer
@MommyBird Your advice worked! I kept my hand on the other side of the cage and for like 20 seconds he didn’t come probably cause he was afraid, but then he just walked over. After about 5 minutes I pulled my hand out of the cage with my other hand I put my finger between the food hand and the cage, and he stepped on. Thank you! It’s nice seeing results after being patient ☺

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
@MommyBird Your advice worked! I kept my hand on the other side of the cage and for like 20 seconds he didn’t come probably cause he was afraid, but then he just walked over. After about 5 minutes I pulled my hand out of the cage with my other hand I put my finger between the food hand and the cage, and he stepped on. Thank you! It’s nice seeing results after being patient ☺
That's great and just makes my evening to read this!
It's important to not make the "steps" too big, and keep sessions short. baby steps. and keep being patient and always end a session on a positive note with a behavior he will do and be rewarded for.
But it actually is science (and it's the same method they used for training the velociraptors I think it was Jurassic World). Check out Barbara Heidenreich's videos and websites for more on training. You and Smokey are off to a great start! :dance4: Just ask if you have any more questions.

TheShah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanveer
2 week kindaish update from my last one-
He is still healthy and he loooves leafy food. He has gotten comfortable to the point where if I have food in my hand and pull it away and put my other hand in between he will step on it, but will only do it if I have food. Or else he is still cautious about my hands approaching. I will continue doing this till he is comfortable with my hands. But when it comes to my body he is fine. I’ve left his cage door open and he’s flown on me multiple times.
One thing I did want some advice was his relationship with my budgies. My budgies are not tame. They are scared of me whenever I approach but they are healthy and sing all day. Which I’m fine with if they are happy. When I let out Smokey he will sometimes fly on top of there cage and one of my budge will hang from the top side of the cage and peck at Smokey’s feet. Taking this as signs of aggression I don’t let them out at the same time. Any reason for their behavior?

TheShah

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tanveer
Also any other tips or advice of way to get him comfortable with my hands?