• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Rocky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Well just thought I would post a little update on Rocky being blind now. She is very caucious around the house, bumps into things a lot but listens to my voice. She is now learning, “stop” when I see she is about to bump into thing. She is a lot slower and has trouble with the stairs. She sticks to me like glue, she is always with me. She is totally dependent on me. Things move slower around here now but that’s okay we take our time. She still plays outside, goes for walks, swims, surfs and is still very happy and extremely loved. She barks for treats and usually suckers me in to give it to her. Lol But things are going ok, it’s a huge adjustment and I feel bad for her but things will work out. She still gets her drops so she is not in any pain. So that’s just a little update. She will get used to being blind, it’s just taking a while and a huge adjustment for all of us.

senorabarb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I hope that the adjustment goes along okay for Rocky and you and your family. My aunt had a blind German Shepherd for a long time. He got along fine. I remember her saying that dogs help blind people, so people should help blind dogs. I was at her house, and she would throw a small, smooth stone for the dog to fetch. Sure enough, he would come back with the same stone.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

ferdinand

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
chul
I'm so glad she is doing well - you are a wonderful dog parent!

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
I'm glad Rocky is doing well and adjusting. I'm sure it is a big adjustment to you. I have a 16 yo jackrussell that has gone completely deaf in the past 6 months. That is a change, but I don't think as much as a change as not seeing would be. Bless you and Rocky. :hug8:

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I hope that the adjustment goes along okay for Rocky and you and your family. My aunt had a blind German Shepherd for a long time. He got along fine. I remember her saying that dogs help blind people, so people should help blind dogs. I was at her house, and she would throw a small, smooth stone for the dog to fetch. Sure enough, he would come back with the same stone.

So far it’s going well. Rocky just follows me around the house and we walk slowly together, everyone is helping out. We are keeping everything picked up off the floor. Things go back where they belong. Wow, that’s amazing. I didn’t think he would fetch the same stone.

I'm so glad she is doing well - you are a wonderful dog parent!

Thanks, but I would do anything for her, I love her and her sister with all my heart. I would do anything for all of my animals. They mean the world to me.

I'm glad Rocky is doing well and adjusting. I'm sure it is a big adjustment to you. I have a 16 yo jackrussell that has gone completely deaf in the past 6 months. That is a change, but I don't think as much as a change as not seeing would be. Bless you and Rocky.

It is a huge adjustment for me, it takes so long to do things because she follows me but we just walk slowly around the house together. She kind of feels things with her feet and nose and walks slow. Poor baby, it must be hard having a deaf dog. I talk to my dogs all the time so it must be kind of tough.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so relieved to hear Rocky is adjusting (and you too) to her new situation. She is one very loved doggie.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Courtney, your post warmed my heart! You kept saying "But that's ok". You are a wonderful mom and you and Rocky are so lucky to have eachother. You have so much patience and I am sure Rocky will continue to thrive happily with you.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am glad to hear that she is doing well. It will take her a little time to adjust but once she does and she gets comfortable with her surroundings again she will pick up the pace. You are doing great with her!

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Thanks Miriam, Im trying my best to guide her. Oh she will pick up the pace? That’s good. I didn’t know if she would or not. She slowly tip toes around especially downstairs, she gets totally confused but I help her out. What I realized is right now she is very dependent on me and sticks to me like glue. She used to just run around and go on her own but she knows I have to help her around so she is with me most of the time. However, when she is outside she runs and plays. She knows the backyard. I sure have to give a lot of credit to that dog, this is not stopping her from being happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.