• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Little Boy Aracari

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonja

Jogging around the block
Wow, that's a stunning difference from how he looks now. Please, please get him to a vet today!! If you can't get off work, ask a friend to take him. Birds go downhill so fast, I'm also afraid for his life. I wish I were closer - I'd drive up and take him for you. I think you are facing a very urgent situation.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Jason just told me exactly what Merlie said. If those birds came from him it was not recently, so they are not young. He does not look like a baby.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I am getting more and more nervous all the time here. I know I have my own stuff to worry about, but this little guy somehow needs to be seen.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Guys .. I think we've done all we can possibly do here. We've given advice, listed tons of vets .. etc. What will be will be. I will say a prayer for the little boy remaining and hope for the best. :(

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
They did not fight when they were with me, in fact they looked like they liked each other a lot, cuddled up together on the perch at night. They were transported in a carrier that didn't have a perch in it so could they have slipped around in it on the journey? there was a bowl of thawed blueberries and it must have sloshed about because they were kind of sticky when they arrived.

I can get him to a local, general vet, anytime but I live several hours from Cornell or any other avian vet. I have to ask for time off 6 months in advance (really) and just had a warning because I was out sick for 2 days a couple of weeks ago when I had a middle ear infection. I will do what I can - would it be better to take him to a regular vet if I could do it in the next day or two?

I'm having computer problems at home so am using the computer at work, will sign off until tomorrow morning.
Merlie is right - we can only do so much. He needs to see an avian vet - not a regular vet. You mentioned you have to give 6 month notice to your employer to take off - he doesn't have 6 months. He needs to see a vet now. There are options in your area and I'm sure if you called one of the vets suggested, they would work with you.

Lorli

Meeting neighbors
I was shocked when I saw the picture of Pico - I thought my little boy looked okay until I saw it, his feathers are so sleek. He was eating pretty well this morning but I'm still very worried.

I spoke with one of the 2 avian vets at Cornell and we are going on Monday morning, but if he deteriorates over the weekend we can go to their emergency room. I got permission to take Monday off if I make up the time in the next week.

To the person who knows Jason: does he think he sold these 2 birds? Would I be able to contact Jason myself? I can't help wondering if there was something wrong in the first place.

Thanks,
Lore

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Here is what Pico looks like now that he has been with me 7 months..this is the color he should be.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am so relieved you are taking him in soon..don't hesitate to go to er though, actually it might get things moving more quickly...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Lorli

Meeting neighbors
His is beautiful. What a difference between him and my poor baby.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks, I just wanted you to have something to compare. If he was feeling good, he would be keeping his beak clean and jumping in to bathe every day. That's what keeps the beak shiny and feathers smooth. The colors come from proper nutrition.
I so hope you can get your little one well with the help of the doctors at Cornell. I have one more message for you from the lady in NY I will send you.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
His is beautiful. What a difference between him and my poor baby.

Your parrot in the photo does not look well at all. Do you know that when birds start to not look well it is because they have been suffering for quite some time and can no longer hide their condition? It is imperative that he be seen. Take care of this bird please. He needs medical attention immediately. He's needed it since before posting this thread. What would it take for you to bring him to a vet today?

Last edited:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was shocked when I saw the picture of Pico - I thought my little boy looked okay until I saw it, his feathers are so sleek. He was eating pretty well this morning but I'm still very worried.

I spoke with one of the 2 avian vets at Cornell and we are going on Monday morning, but if he deteriorates over the weekend we can go to their emergency room. I got permission to take Monday off if I make up the time in the next week.

To the person who knows Jason: does he think he sold these 2 birds? Would I be able to contact Jason myself? I can't help wondering if there was something wrong in the first place.

Thanks,
Lore
Jason for certain is not the breeder of your little girl, she was only 8 weeks and he's had no babies for a long time. I don't know about your male, don't know how old he is for certain. It doesn't matter if Jason was the original breeder .. you got them from a less than desirable place no doubt, so Jason holds zero responsibility for the condition of this bird now.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I urge you to take him to the emergency at Cornell asap..he may not make it to Monday..

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Are you able to take him on the weeondnor after work?:)

I hope he can make it until Monday if you cannot take him soon.:hug8:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
The Cornell ER sounds like a good place to be....now.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
If you are off this weekend GO to the Vet. You are gonna have a Vet bill regardless so why are you going to wait?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Lorli, I am thinking of you today and hope everything goes well at the vets. Sending positive energy that the little boy is fine.:hug8::hug8::hug8:

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy

Jason for certain is not the breeder of your little girl, she was only 8 weeks and he's had no babies for a long time. I don't know about your male, don't know how old he is for certain. It doesn't matter if Jason was the original breeder .. you got them from a less than desirable place no doubt, so Jason holds zero responsibility for the condition of this bird now.
I have to disagree just a tiny bit with the last sentence. It does matter if Jason was the original breeder. If he was, he is responsible for this little guy, IMO. I understand that he likely was not. Just saying if he WAS then he should step in and advise.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Wow I have six aracaris and four are from Jason and they are all healthy. He is sick, I hope he gets better big hugs:hug8::hug8:

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
Can someone tell me what happened to the little girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.