• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Ben’s nose bump

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So I just got back from the vet with Ben. He’s had a bump under his nostril for close to a year now. I’ve taken him to the vet twice to get it checked out. They didn’t know what it is but it wasn’t making him uncomfortable or obstructing his breathing so I was told to keep an eye on it. I recently saw a thread (thanks to @webchirp) about a bird who had a bump that looked exactly like Ben’s, it popped and got infected. I decided to take Ben to a different vet since I moved to see if I could avoid all the trouble of an infection. Pretty much same response, not sure what it is but it’s not an emergent issue, keep an eye on it. Ben has a week of antibiotics and anti inflammatories to see if it has an effect. Ben took his meds for the vet no problem, he wanted to bite the syringe so it was easy to just squirt the meds in. I hope he’ll do the same for me.

I know antibiotics can cause stomach upset, is there anything I can do to help him out? Any other tips are always appreciated!

F5A459E4-DA4B-4680-8045-28D7CE42F90D.png

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope everything is okay. Giving probiotics can be helpful when a birds is on antibiotics.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Ben will be okay and that he takes his meds like a good boy for you! I would also start him on probiotics.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
looks like there's something festering in there , like a splinter of something very minuscule possibly encapsulated :huh: if he will let you try a warm compress carefull not to cover his nares , may bring it to the surface.

Last edited:

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
How do you guys suggest getting probiotics in him? I know he’s not supposed to have yogurt so what can I give him?

I just woke up and made the flock dinner since they didn’t get breakfast this morning and Ben was thrilled about that, so far he seems like his normal self lol

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
looks like there's something festering in there , like a splinter of something very minuscule possibly encapsulated :huh: if he will let you try a warm compress carefull not to cover his nares , may bring it to the surface.
I can try but I don’t think he’ll let me. The bird in the thread I referenced was also a green cheek and hers ended up being a cyst. It’s just funny how it doesn’t bother him at all, I don’t think he even knows it’s there lol

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all will be well with Ben. Does look like a cyst. Scully has one right above his cere but it has been there for a while and has stayed the same small size. Scully's is probably a feather cyst.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ben’s hasn’t changed at all since I first noticed it. Vet said if it was a growth or anything serious it likely would have grown within a year

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
You can buy powder probiotics for birds and sprinkle it on his food. Some brands are AviBios and AviCulture. I’m sure there are others too.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
You can buy powder probiotics for birds and sprinkle it on his food. Some brands are AviBios and AviCulture. I’m sure there are others too.
Well we’ve got 8 inches of snow here now so I won’t be going out anytime soon and I’m not sure how quick it would arrive if I ordered online. If I knew he was going to be on antibiotics I would have got some before hand :bash:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
So I just got back from the vet with Ben. He’s had a bump under his nostril for close to a year now. I’ve taken him to the vet twice to get it checked out. They didn’t know what it is but it wasn’t making him uncomfortable or obstructing his breathing so I was told to keep an eye on it. I recently saw a thread (thanks to @webchirp) about a bird who had a bump that looked exactly like Ben’s, it popped and got infected. I decided to take Ben to a different vet since I moved to see if I could avoid all the trouble of an infection. Pretty much same response, not sure what it is but it’s not an emergent issue, keep an eye on it. Ben has a week of antibiotics and anti inflammatories to see if it has an effect. Ben took his meds for the vet no problem, he wanted to bite the syringe so it was easy to just squirt the meds in. I hope he’ll do the same for me.

I know antibiotics can cause stomach upset, is there anything I can do to help him out? Any other tips are always appreciated!

View attachment 290162
Dr. Orozo sent me home with packets of vsl#3 probiotics that have to be kept refrigerated. I know from experience with irritable bowel that the refrigerated kinds work best. The vsl#3 can be found on amazon but it’s pricey and I’m wondering if just a really good brand kept refrigerated from a health food store would be just as sufficient.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor fella. I never noticed it in his adorable photo shoots. :chrisphoto:
I love when he sits like that so you can’t see his legs :rofl: I call it his blob form
:coffeescreen:
I’m wondering if just a really good brand kept refrigerated from a health food store would be just as sufficient.
Is there a way to check ingredients & compare strains?

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Unfortunately he’s not being as good with his meds as I’d hoped. I spent almost two hours this morning trying different ways to get it in him. He’s too smart, he’s become suspicious of everything I do. I obviously wanted to avoid toweling him if possible. He didn’t like either of the two kinds of applesauce I offered him so right off the bat that wasn’t going to work. I tried putting the drop of med on my finger and sprinkling some walnut on top, he took some that way before realizing his walnuts tasted terrible lol it’s literally just a drop of each one, I didn’t think it’d be so difficult. After running out of ideas I tried toweling him but that didn’t go well either. He was just flopping all over the place trying to get away, I was worried either he’d hurt himself or I’d hurt him grabbing him the wrong way because he was so panicked. He also had his nails trimmed while at the vet so he’s particularly clumsy now and he kept falling as he tried to get away. So he didn’t get his full dose today, I will try toweling him again tomorrow, I don’t know what else to do and I’m terrified of losing his trust

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:sadhug2:How stressful. I'm not looking forward to medicating our birds when the time comes. :o: