• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Update on Anna

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Hello everyone
Anna seems to be screaming less. I have her in her smaller cage during the day where she is closer to us and all activity in the house. She sits on the front porch and can look at us through the window glass. I pass frequently and open the door and pet her and talk to her.
she seems to be happier there when she sees me.
she does have separation anxiety though. whenever I leave the room, she squawks.I am home most of the time but I know when I leave she is not happy. Sort of makes me feel trapped at times. :)
I didn't want her in a smaller cage and thought the outdoor aviary where she had trees and branches to climb on and lots to do would be better. but it seems during the day she is happier in the small cage. I put her back in the aviary around 4 or 5 PM and she seems good with that. The late afternoon is when she is most active anyway.
thanks everyone for all the suggestions. This is a work in progress.
An pen play stand for her is being considered.
Oh, I have been giving her half a grape a day. she loves them. Is that OK?

Attachments

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I'm glad you are getting things figured out with her!
Grapes are fine for parrots as long as they are organic or well-washed due to pesticide concerns (here in CONUS anyway).

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She loves you. That's a good thing.

AND you are her flock......

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I'm glad she's being less of a challenge for you. The screaming when you leave the room - I wouldn't think of that so much as "anxiety." She doesn't like it when you leave her, and she expresses her feelings, but it may not be actual anxiety. It may be that she's learning/learned that screaming when you leave makes you come back... Teaching a "flock call" might alleviate her displeasure and help to keep your eardrums intact. Just try to keep it on an intermittent schedule - just enough to let her know you're around and thinking of her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad things are going better. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sounds like things are progressing well!
This is a work in progress.
It always is...that's why flexibility is such an important thing. :)

Nothing wrong with grapes....

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a happy update! Our Luv Bug's flock call is absolutely grating. :confused: We tell her where we are and what we're doing; not sure if it helps her, but I feel more like we're having a conversation so it bothers me less that way. :laugh:

I love this story of a lonely zoo bird becoming part of a family. :xflove:

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Do you ever try to just hold Anna? Just curious, sounds like she would like that affection. My Freddy about 4 mos after we brought him home allowed my fiancee Joe and I to hold and cuddle him! Every day for the whole month of March. Then almost as sudden as it started, it stopped. I think that was his way of accepting us, now he's moved on to a new phase. Galahs are more independent of the cockatoos, I have read, but I sure hope my cuddly Freddy comes back. I loved that, they are so soft! Not to mention loveable!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Hello everyone
Anna seems to be screaming less. I have her in her smaller cage during the day where she is closer to us and all activity in the house. She sits on the front porch and can look at us through the window glass. I pass frequently and open the door and pet her and talk to her.
she seems to be happier there when she sees me.
she does have separation anxiety though. whenever I leave the room, she squawks.I am home most of the time but I know when I leave she is not happy. Sort of makes me feel trapped at times. :)
I didn't want her in a smaller cage and thought the outdoor aviary where she had trees and branches to climb on and lots to do would be better. but it seems during the day she is happier in the small cage. I put her back in the aviary around 4 or 5 PM and she seems good with that. The late afternoon is when she is most active anyway.
thanks everyone for all the suggestions. This is a work in progress.
An pen play stand for her is being considered.
Oh, I have been giving her half a grape a day. she loves them. Is that OK?
She's awfully pretty. Sounds like she's happy with her new routine! I'm glad for all of you!