• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

**Update #8** Diarrhea- was it the cat food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmenellie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
When Basil dropped his first of the morning, the fecal portion was loose and runny. Other than that he seems his normal self. Should I be alarmed?

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Birds have a varity of poos. Take him in if you observe any of the following signs. No eating, drinking, fluffed up and lethargic, no preening, no playing.

If he does any of those along with runny poos, then yes I would take him in right away.

Ginger

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Give him 24 hours for the food to go through....watch his water intake and how much did he eat????:hug8:

carkam

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My GCC sometimes has huge runny morning poos and then the rest are fairly normal. I would watch and see if his poos stay that way or get better.

Carmenellie

Avenue Veteran
Alright. I'll keep an eye on him. The only thing available to eat in his cage overnight was the Roudybush pellets- I doubt he ate any. Yesterday, he did his usual of pigging out on pellets and nutriberries. He got a cheerio as a snack and has eaten more apple than usual the last couple of days. This morning, he didn't screech at me when he woke up like he often does- but it could also be because there was nobody stomping around upstairs this morning. He's still playing on my like a jungle gym, though he's being less rowdy than he has been for a week.
:/ I'm getting his breakfast together- a little oatmeal with cinnamon and banana. I'll update when he does his next poo.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
If you have any fresh ginger, grate a little over the oatmeal to settle his stomach ....it won't hurt him...I'm always giving ginger powder in my birds food...when I don't have the fresh ginger...Oh have you also tried the cayenne pepper in his fresh foods? Another great one to add...:hug8:

Carmenellie

Avenue Veteran
Update on Basil (Still having the issue)

Alright, since I first posted, Basil has passed droppings three times and eaten a small breakfast. The second of the three was all urine, now that he's eaten a bit there is more feces, still runny. There was very very little urate in the last two. He's still acting fine and getting into trouble. He ate oatmeal with nutriberry and banana mashed up and cinnamon and ginger on top. He's still nibbling away at it, he seems to have a good appetite. But I'm still worried.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little one,I hope he gets better soon.

Carmenellie

Avenue Veteran
What a relief! He finally passed good healthy looking droppings two times in a row. I guess it was something he ate. Sorry for freaking out. :D Thank you for the advice. Are ginger and cayenne good preventatives of digestion issues? What are some things I can do with his fresh foods to make sure this doesn't happen anymore?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
thank goodness he is ok!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.