• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(update #53)Another bird at the vet, what's wrong ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Sending lots of healing prayers for your little one! :hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending good thoughts.

FreeByrd

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
This is so scary... Praying you find the answer SOON!!! :sadhug:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hoping she feels better and you get to the bottom of this.:hug8:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sarah, how is Binky feeling today, eating any better?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Binky is still unchanged. I think we have run out of options at that vet, he is starting to say she might be in breeding mode. Have spoken with a universary vet, they are getting back to me. I think they want a MRI. What the *$!% will that cost? I don't even want to know. We will see. Her weight is at 440 grams. Her average weight is usually around 450-480 grams. The last weight I had on her before she got sick was 456 grams. I have only owned this bird for about 9 months so I don't have a ton of history but I'm doing what I can.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I brought her back to work this morning. She feels more comfortable with her flock and her giant cage. I cranked the room up tp 80 degrees and gave her breakfast. She came down and ate 2 grapes and took her meds. I figured I would give her the day and came back in the afternoon. Fed all the birds their afternoon feeding and she came down to eat. She grabbed a few pellets and made her way to her top perch to eat. After she finished she made her way back down to grab a few more. I thought it was strange that she was not eating at the food bowl but she was eating on her own so no complaints. I put in a third dish of pellets up near her top perch so she would not have to make so many trips. She was eating though. Can't say how much because I wanted to give her some space but it looked promising. I stayed for awhile and watched the flock eat, she seemed to be doing alright this evening.

:grouphug:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Glad to hear she's eating more today. Has anything changed near her food bowl? Did you move any furniture or add anything that she sees at that level that may be upsetting her? :hug8:

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Well that is a good sign that she is eating a bit more. Hope you find out soon what is wrong.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Has anything changed near her food bowl? Did you move any furniture or add anything that she sees at that level that may be upsetting her? :hug8:

Not at all. Nothing has changed in or around her cage, and she is one of those Brave birds. Nothing scares her it is attack attack. In fact our last trip to the vet..... vet thought she was so sweet giving me kisses and all, haha, piranna! He needed 4 stitches in his hand after her crop wash. She really has me confused. Maybe she fell or maybe a mouse got up by her food bowl??? I don't know, the list of things to rule out from the vet are crazy. Reproductive disorder is at the top of the list??? What is that and why would it affect her eating??? :bash:

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I feel for you--you want ANSWERS. If you know what it is, you can DEAL with it, but to have only questions is maddening. Been there, done that (though with different animals.):hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Good News I think, This morning Binky weighed 453 grams! She is eating her pellets much better and has much healthier poops! Two days ago she was on her way down in weight and was 440 grams so I'm happy. She still seems to be shaking her head quite often but I think less than before. The one thing I did notice is on her bottom beak, it seems to be bruised??? One side of her bottom beak seems to be a little purpleish in color. Is that strange? Can they bruise on there beaks? Could it be from her rubbing ( I doubt it ) Maybe the vet grabbed to hard? Not sure, Can they bruise?

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Yes, they can bruise on their beaks. As far as I know it's from blunt force trauma - like hitting it on the wall or fan while flying. I had a parrotlet hit the fan with his beak and he would only eat soft foods for a few days. You could clearly see the bruise on his upper beak. Glad your faby is doing better!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
??? wonder if it's bruised and how it happened? Just showed up yesterday. She also had blueberries in her bowl so I'm not positive yet but It does look bruised. I will check it out better and maybe I can get a picture.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
You mentioned some mice in traps. Could she have seen them get trapped? Could she have been afraid to eat after seeing them go for food & get trapped? Or maybe they did get in her cage at her bowl & she was trying to stay away from it? Or maybe even had a run-in with one, and banged her beak in the process? Sounds like she is getting better so that is great news, whatever the problem was!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The traps are on the other side of the room, could not see them. I guess she could have had a run in with a mouse but the bruise appeared yesterday??? Not sure. I just hope she gets all the way better soon. She is still shaking her head a bit. We will see how she is off the metacam too. I have about two doses left.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good News I think, This morning Binky weighed 453 grams! She is eating her pellets much better and has much healthier poops! Two days ago she was on her way down in weight and was 440 grams so I'm happy. She still seems to be shaking her head quite often but I think less than before. The one thing I did notice is on her bottom beak, it seems to be bruised??? One side of her bottom beak seems to be a little purpleish in color. Is that strange? Can they bruise on there beaks? Could it be from her rubbing ( I doubt it ) Maybe the vet grabbed to hard? Not sure, Can they bruise?
Awwwww, you go Binky, so happy to hear progress. They can bruise their beaks, here is a link to some information that might help.

http://www.avianweb.com/beakdeformities.html

Status
Not open for further replies.