• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Update #24) Goffins Cockatoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Hi Brunosmom

I am sorry your goffin is plucking and mutilating. I don't think he could have been any more naked than Ella when I got her. She has made an amazing transformation.

First he needs a vet visit. I did this with Ella. She had to take antibiotics for the wound -- it was a deep gaping hole. The vet also prescribed cream for it and recommended frequent showers -- every other day.

She was on an all seed diet. And would throw things out of the food bowl looking for seeds. I got her to eat warm cooked foods -- spoon fed her -- and she tried it and began to like certain things. I found she loved oatmeal with fresh fruits, chopped apple. She loved bananas also sweet potatoe brown rice. I made her a lot of Higgins cookables. She does also like nuts, almonds -- I stay away from peanuts although she does love them.

You have to keep them busy. Ella would not play just stand around. Now she plays with toys and foraging for treats. She will eat pellets but still loves cooked foods best. She loves preening stuff. Doesnt' chip wood but loves coconut fiber, java wood -- I buy it on a big roll --- you have to keep the beak busy and distract with other things.

I made her a collar out of fleece. The bubble collars from the vet did not work for us. She could still rip out tail feathers with it on and it was causing a boo boo on her neck. She may be one of a kind but she learned to love clothes. I started with just a poncho -- cut a big circle out fleece and cut out a neck hole -- it kept her warm and she preened on it sometimes.

let me get some pics for you

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
here's two pics of Ella when she was naked and had the big boo boo. One with a collar I made her. That collar was made out of a terry cloth wash cloth and bigger and wider and thicker than the one I put her now.

This is now

Now she always wears a poncho mostly

HERE IS ELLA IN HER COLLAR SHE NORMALLY WEARS NOW. A LITTLE SMALLER

THIS IS NOT ME. THIS IS ELLA VISITING ROOSEVELT SCHOOL ON ONE OF OUR COMMUNITY SERVICE PROJECTS FROM DECEMBER. SHE IS PICTURED HERE WITH ROOSEVELT SCHOOL PRINCIPAL AND I HAD HER IN HER HOODIE BUT SHE SEEMED PREOCCUPIED WITH PREENING HER TAIL AND SHE OVERPREENS AT TIMES AND I SAW A DROP OF BLOOD ON THE BOTTOM OF HER STAND SO I PUT HER COLLAR ON AND THEN SHE WAS CALM AND SAT NICELY AND POSED NICE FOR THE PICTURE TOO.

Last edited:

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
How is he doing ?? Did you find a vet ?

Brunosmom

Moving in
Hey guys!!!! Just a quick update Bruno is doing amazing!!! I have a vet appointment for him next week. I made a e-collar that he doesnt take off aka pick apart. His sore is healing very nicely. I am so HAPPY. I have been so busy with work, my kids, and Bruno that I have not had time for anything else. I just wanted to pop in here and say thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me!!! And a very special thank you to Robin who directed me to this forum!! I will update again after I take him to the vet:) Ella even bald is pretty!!! Bruno is bald like that:)

Brunosmom

Moving in
bruno.jpg Here is my boy I lifted his blankie to snap a photo of him (about two weeks ago thats why you dont see the e-collar:)

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
You are so very welcome ! So glad things are doing better, maybe the vet will be able to tell you more. Yes a bird bald or feathered is alway beautiful and loving to us :) :heart: Keep up the good work and come back to visit us ;)

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
aww what a cutie. glad he is doing better. Does he play with any toys? Forage at all for treats? That was something I had to get Ella interested in, was playing with toys. she loves preening on stuff. The vet told me to when I see her plucking, give her a firm no, and then redirect with a toy. I tried lots of different types of toys and I put treats in foraging cups, her foraging drawers. I try to keep her busy. Also she needed frequent showers -- the vet said 2xs a week. And I took her outside in a flight suit for natural sunlight.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
Awwwww.... Bruno looks like a sweetie. Good luck at the vet and hugs to Bruno.

Bunnygirl

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh my gosh, he's adorible! :heart: Glad to hear he's doing better.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he sure is adorable...glad he is doing better..let us know what the vet has to say!!

Status
Not open for further replies.