• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

unwanted changes

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Hello everyone
We had to rehome Angel, this was in consideration to our neighbours. Her swearing had become worse. To the point, when outside she would swear all day and was very loud. people three doors up from us, could hear her. I had so hard try to stop her swearing, I researched methodologies but nothing worked. I believe that being taught over 5 years to swear was well and truly embedded into her. The strange thing is that Henry never picked up the swearing.

I had become rather attached to her, but realised that it would only be a matter of time before a complaint would be lodged with the council. I spoke to a friend who knew of a breeder that lived on acreage and would give her a good home. Maybe being will aviary birds she will stop swearing.

On a more positive note Henry had his second visit to the vet yesterday in a follow up to him scratching the back of his neck. He been cleared of mites and its not from a moult. So the vet believes it could be issues in regard to the vertebrae and nerves in his neck, kind of like growing pains. So after Xmas we are going to have some x-rays done to see if that's the issue. Apart from that he is in perfect health, clear eyes, good weight, nice plumage, beak and feet.

The vet said he treats over 40 male Eclectus parrots and has never seen one so calm and easy to handle like Henry. during the examination Henry step up onto the vet hands and did his own examination of the vet's fingers and didn't bite. After the examination Henry fluffed up, stretched, started saying step up and proceed to preen himself. The vet then said that's one chilled out Eclectus parrot.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry about Angel. I hope everything is okay with Henry. He sounds like a sweet bird.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
yeah I was sad to see her go but she's on acreage now, so she can scream and swear without impacting on the neighbours. Some birds are just broken beyond repair and no matter what you try they can't be fixed.

Henry is perched on his play gym at the moment preening, whistling and talking. He has already flown over to me and preened my left ear, then flew back to the play gym. It doesn't seem to be a life threating condition. more of a irritating condition and it's affecting his plumage at the back of his neck. Hopefully we will find the problem and fix it.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That's very sad that just cause a bird swears it is deemed "broken beyond repair" :sad11:

Very very sad.

I hope the poor bird who had a family will adapt well to living on an acreage.

:sad9:

Sorry but this post is very upsetting to me

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Will you be able to visit Angel and see that she is doing well?

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
what's really annoying is that she was taught to swear by the previous owner. unfortunately I tried my best but I just couldn't repair the damage and had to make a very hard decision. Angel's welfare was foremost, then the neighbours. Angel was very attached to me, so I'm not sure if visiting her would be good for her.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Henry had his follow up visit to the vet, Blood test, X-rays and a section of tissue for a biopsy, were taken. The X-rays show there is some issues with 3 cervical vertebrae in Henry's neck. The top of cervical vertebrae are damaged, This could be due to an injury or at the worst, Cancer. The vet believes it's the result of a injury when he was very young. Henry's bloodwork was good and his general health is very good.

Henry's weight is within the range of normal, feather plumage is good apart from where henry scratches. good muscle definition on both side of the keel bone. Physically and mentally Henry is good.