• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Unsure about vets diagnosis

Brendancoylee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brendancoyleeeee
:hug8: Well today i visited the vet with my bird rocky whos a galah, he has well i believe swollen eyelids and i went to the vet who apperently deal with birds, so we walk they take rocky to go and weigh him in a separate room where i cannot see. For 30mins we sat in the waiting room before the vet was ready, so we walk in i tell him how i think rocky has swollen eyelids he wraps him up in a towel and gets shizz torch thing and shines it into rockys eyes then gets his finger and looks in and around his eyelids pulling it down to see, then he bluntley asks what makes you think hes got swollen eyelids again? And i say because hes eyelids didnt use to look like this it gradually happend, he said he cant see anything wrong and that the only thing that he sees wrong is a vitamin deffiencey, he gave him a needle in the stomach to boost hes vitmatins up and i had to pay 82$ for that wow. I got nothing out of it the most entertaining part of the tip was watching rocky bite him on the finger and puncture his skin, i feel ripped off. Is there a chance he had no idea whats happening? + what if rockys eyelids become really bad i should get my money back. ( rocky still eats and drinks) but im still concerned

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you post a pic?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
May I suggest going online and seeing if the vet who saw your bird is avian certified or not? from there you can find an/another avian certified vet in your area and get a second opinion. I'd also suggest that you tell us more-or-less where you are - not an address but maybe the closest large city. It helps members if they know of an av close to your area.

Brendancoylee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brendancoyleeeee
Im from melbourne australia
I just did some research on the "defiency vitamin a" and i think i found out MYSELF whats wrong with him. I think he has sinusitis, i read like 7 pages about this and im 96% sure thats what he has, hes eyes are swollen and hes always sleeping and puffed up, so this vet was correct on one thing the "vitamin a defiency" but why didnt the idiot know that this is what he has, he gave him a vitamin a boost needle? But surely thats not enough to treat my bird. What should i do like i just paid nearly $100 for that and he didnt get it correct,

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You vet probably diagnosed Vit A deficiency by looking at the papillae in your birds mouth. That however is not a reason for being fluffed up and having swollen eyes.
Photo of normal papillae:
papillae.jpg

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:wideyed: Get another vet! Oh goodness, it sounds like he didn't have any answers so a vit shot might fix it!

Brendancoylee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brendancoyleeeee
Theres another vet in scoresby 49 minutes from me but im 16 right i have no way of getting there. It was a struggle to get to this one today alot of plans were made/ruined so i could get there this morning. I paid 82$ myself which is a lot of money for me.. I didnt care cos id pay for my animal but it was like throwing money away after this vet didnt really help, so everyones getting frustrated in my family and i doubt im going to be able to get to this vet aswell + more money gone, WHAT DO I DO i just told me mum and she basically said go away i dont want to hear it because of the stuff that happened this morning omg

Seriously dont know what to do

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm sorry, can you tell them how important this bird is to you?! Hope your baby is OK, :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You need to show us a picture of these eyes.

Cockatoos, Amazons, Macaws and possibly others are known to "blush" cheeks, eye patches etc that flush with blood when in certain "moods". Could that be what's going on? Or are we talking about a permanent state of swollen?

Brendancoylee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Brendancoyleeeee
:( Hey guys im in australia its midnight right now and when i wake up i have work so ill post a picture of rockys eyelids tomorrow

I dont think thats what he is doing

Like one eyelid got swollen and then gradually the other one did aswell