• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Umbrella cockatoo plucking herself bald

razs05

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Riaz
Hi guys. I've got a 3 year old female umbrella cockatoo. She and my 2 blue and gold macaws all live happily together. They are not caged birds. Free roam during the day in a open air setup. Only get put into individual cages at night. She was perfectly fine until about 5 months ago. She started plucking her feathers. Its become so bad that she's starting to look a little bald in some places. When she started biting herself, I stopped caging her at night. I now bring her into my living room where she has her own perch corner to spend the night. We made some neck rings so she can't reach herself, but she simply bites what's in reach. Her diet has remained the same all these years. She gets majority white sunflower seeds, black sunflower seeds, a variety of nuts and dried fruit, weekly dose of fresh fruit(she isn't a fan of this.)

I'm lost at the moment and I'm in desperate need of some advise and help. Please if someone could guide me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

See attached some pics of my cockatoo.

Attachments

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Your first step is to be a vet trip they can do a number of testes to guide you in the right direction ...Most plucking is not known what it started from unfortunately but blood tests and skin tests can rule out things that could be going on medically ..next is to look at diet and add or take away things that might of started the plucking ... next is to look at things to do parrots need alot of toys and things to occupy their time ... I do hope you can get help with this terrible thing that plagues a number of parrots :sadhug2: