• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ultraviolet

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Petey has been protective of Daff several times when out on a java tree together. However, he has always "shut off" that behavior in favor of attention from me or Mom. And Daffer has rebuffed him a few times. Their cages are literally inches apart, so you'll never see me on Feathered Estates! They are flock buddies. Or were...That was not the case in the aviary!

Once outside with full spectrum light, I think he figured out she's a girl and things went left from there. You can tell in the pictures that he was PISSED at me. He did full-on threat displays repeatedly and literally chased me around the aviary, lunging madly. Thank God he can't fly, yet. If ever. Never thought I'd say that about a bird in my care! He went from my laid back gentleman to Hulk almost instantaneously. It's that time of year. And he's still trying to get me, days later.

What do I do? Business as usual. I don't respond to his natural drives at all. I treat him as I always have. Of course, I'm even more mindful of that can opener on his face. And he won't be out with her in the aviary when I intend to hang out with the birds. What does Daphne think? She tolerates his amour until he crosses a line known only to her, and then, she rebuffs him...vigorously...and seeks me out. This may sound weird, but I'm glad he's healthy enough to experience hormones and display. Life with multiple macaws! Wouldn't trade it.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Oh my goodness! :scared3: I had no idea he chased you! Did you have to bring the others in the house so he would step up? :( Maybe ladies and gentlemen in separate shifts so he doesn't get any ideas with Annie if Daphne isn't there?

You've earned some of those adult beverages, I'd say! You're right, though. You're raising some healthy birds there. Kudos on that.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Oh my goodness! :scared3: I had no idea he chased you! Did you have to bring the others in the house so he would step up? :( Maybe ladies and gentlemen in separate shifts so he doesn't get any ideas with Annie if Daphne isn't there?

You've earned some of those adult beverages, I'd say! You're right, though. You're raising some healthy birds there. Kudos on that.

I removed everybody and then stepped him up. He won't be going out with Daffy anymore, just Annie. At least he got some exercise chasing me around. Did lots of wing flapping and displaying, too. Maybe he'll fly yet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Come on Matt, where are the pictures of you being chased by a little bitty old macaw? Would love to see that - LOL.
I used a broom to provide blocking between me and Hank when he was pissed and would charge - mouth open and ready to kill. No - I didn't hit him with it. It was just an impediment so he couldn't amputate my foot.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Come on Matt, where are the pictures of you being chased by a little bitty old macaw? Would love to see that - LOL.
I used a broom to provide blocking between me and Hank when he was pissed and would charge - mouth open and ready to kill. No - I didn't hit him with it. It was just an impediment so he couldn't amputate my foot.

I used a pvc pipe, so I could step him up with that, at need. Not sure they'd be good pictures, Mary Lynn--I WAS in a full retreat at one point. ;)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Oh yeah, been there done that. Glad no one was around to see me.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I don't have pictures of Secret stalking me across the kitchen floor either

Or of hubby and I using a huge long dowel to take her back to the cage after she stepped up on it..... she'd charge me, I'd release my end... She turned to charge hubby, I'd grab my end and he would release his.