• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Two color mixup! Macawnutz please advise!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
OMG
Adorable!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Aww so cute! He'll get it. Just maybe a bit quicker with the reward so he doesn't have time to change it. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You messed up Saroj. ;)

That click is the reward. You clicked fast enough but treated on the wrong color. If he switches it that click should have been all he got.

:)

okay, thanks! I'll try it again this evening :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
LOL

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You messed up Saroj. ;)

That click is the reward. You clicked fast enough but treated on the wrong color. If he switches it that click should have been all he got.

:)
I did better this time, but he got very few rewards because he kept putting the ring on the wrong color ( most recent peg whichever one it is) over and over again without clicks or treats. Just putting it on, and taking it off standing still. I was getting frustrated pointing out the right color and him ignoring me. I think I need to take a step back?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think I need to take a step back?
Yes! Train one color at time until he learn that they are different. And you don't need to use the clicker. Without a clicker you also have both hands free.

If you train, we say pink.
Every time he picks up the pink ring, say Pink, and everytime he drops it (on the pink place) say Pink again.
Do that to all the color, but take it slow so he have time to think.
When he has learn the colors you can make him pick up what color you want and ask him to drop it where you want.

And their is nothing wrong to give him treats for trying, but never use your happy and exited voice for more when he has done the right thing. Timing is also very important.
When I train my birds they do get treats for trying in the beginning, that is because I want them to stay positive while training, and I never use the word No, when they do something wrong.
And as soon as I see that they are confused and don't know what to do, I let them do a trick that they are good at, so they get my happy exited voice (the best treat in the world) and as long as I can make them love doing tricks they will always keep trying if I never give them negative energy.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I did better this time, but he got very few rewards because he kept putting the ring on the wrong color ( most recent peg whichever one it is) over and over again without clicks or treats. Just putting it on, and taking it off standing still. I was getting frustrated pointing out the right color and him ignoring me. I think I need to take a step back?

Yes, slow down. You need more positive than negative. Make sure also that the right one is closer to him than the wrong one. Practice with both color pegs but only one color ring. Get solid on them before switching tasks. You want a rewarding end every time.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks Annette and Sarah. I'll implement your recommendations. I didn't let my frustration show but I was wondering what I'm supposed to do when he's mixed up. I was cheery throughout, that much I knew was important! I let him do his ball trick sometimes just for fun because it's so easy for him. Chickie was holding the ring and throwing it down, should she learn the ball fetch first?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I let him do his ball trick sometimes just for fun because it's so easy for him.
Yes, and they also need that, just like you and me. We also need to do easy things that we are good at. :)
Chickie was holding the ring and throwing it down, should she learn the ball fetch first?
If you train them together she will see and understand when JoJo does it right, and learn from him. It is more difficult to train them both together, but they will learn from each other.
And if you should train them together don't use the clicker, it will be very wrong for them both.

When Eliy got here, she was looking at Akela when we where doing tricks, and one day she was doing two tricks that I never had teach her.
I prefer to train mine at same time, but sometimes I which I had more hands while doing it. :D

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Chicken should learn whatever she finds most fun. Just remember she is further behind in training. Did you tell her good and reward her for picking up the ring?

When the skates come it's taught in stages. Days and days of the same thing even if they get it right away. It's also taught backwards so they start at the finish line. :)

Chicken? Omg, my phone changed chickie! Lol

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Chicken should learn whatever she finds most fun. Just remember she is further behind in training. Did you tell her good and reward her for picking up the ring?

When the skates come it's taught in stages. Days and days of the same thing even if they get it right away. It's also taught backwards so they start at the finish line. :)

omg can you believe this? JoJo is all walnutted out and roosting. Chickie is now fetching the ball from one end of the play top to the other and dropping it in a ss bowl, nice clink. She drops it sometimes along the way in her eagerness to get the treat. I just wait till she realizes no ball no treat, and goes back, fetches it and drops it in the bowl! Right now I'm not moving the bowl in my hand to and fro so she drops it successfully each time in it. Omg I can hardly believe it! She is so smart! Thanks for the Advice!

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

You are going to teach me the ska es, I haven't the faintest clue!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
That's great ..looks like they are having some fun while learning ..keep up the great work :fairy2:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:hehe: JoJo loves a blue and pink combo, like me :hehe: