• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TV and Surround Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
I have a question and I am not sure what category this would go under.

I want Slater in the same room with us while we watch our movie but don't want the TV flickering and the surround sound to freak him out. If he is perched on his hanging playgym will he get used to the sights and sounds or is this not a good idea?

Thanks

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Would it be dark in the room? In my experience, birds do not like it when the lights are off. They have very poor night vision and any little thing could scare them because they wouldn't know what was going on.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
I think the loudness isn't good, even if the birds are in the next room. I have my thoughts that this could be the reason why Elvis is nervous.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Not sure all our birds would do well in that situation, but your M2 does fine....she has been hanging out in the same room as we watch tv and movies for a good four years now...maybe slowly get him used to it? Keep lights on but dimmed....and gradually get them dimmer?

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
Ok. Thanks everyone.

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
We have a 37" LCD with Bose surround sound and TJ hasn't been bothered by it a bit. But he has been use to it since we have had him.

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
We just installed surround sound for Xmas. :omg: The G2s died and went to heaven! Crank up the Classic Rock and start the crazy dancing!

We could start a new show called The Birds Went Wild! A Good Time Was Had By All.

AND you haven't seen nothing until you show Cockatoos: Loony Toons in Surround Sound. They just don't know WHERE to look FIRST. It is totally hysterical!

However, I would not do it in dimly lit conditions. Birds do not see well in the dark. You might freak them out.

The Mostly Cageless Cockatoos have a sleep cage. We don't do Surround Sound at night :).

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
I think the key is if they are used to it it might be ok. Slater hangs out while we watch movies but I leave the lights on. I'll see how he does with them dimmed (not dark).

Thanks all!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We just installed surround sound for Xmas. :omg: The G2s died and went to heaven! Crank up the Classic Rock and start the crazy dancing!

We could start a new show called The Birds Went Wild! A Good Time Was Had By All.

AND you haven't seen nothing until you show Cockatoos: Loony Toons in Surround Sound. They just don't know WHERE to look FIRST. It is totally hysterical!

However, I would not do it in dimly lit conditions. Birds do not see well in the dark. You might freak them out.

The Mostly Cageless Cockatoos have a sleep cage. We don't do Surround Sound at night :).
Blasting the nature sounds in surround sound is just like being in the jungle. The TOOs love it.

They really don't like the dark and don't see very well as mentioned.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
we have all are birds in the living :) room with the HD. It's always loud and they are just fine. They play with us and sit with us. I have all there cages in there also. It's where we always are and they love it.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
For Christmas I just got a baby stereo and I have it on pretty loud when Im at the computer and my parrots are with me. They are not bothered a bit by it. Actually they like it, they chirp and get all excited when it goes on. But all birds are different. I would just try it and see if it freaks him out. Just depends on his personality, mine just LOVE the stereo. But for movies I have head sets because Chiquita is so loud I can’t hear what Im watching without them. Now I can hear everything, it’s great. I never thought a bird could be so loud, lol, but she is.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
For what it's worth, everyone here loves loud music and movies, so long as it's daylight and it's not a sudden surprise (like silence and then crashing cymbols... or explosions).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The only thing we can't do is watch nature shows on the big HD TV. They see the animals and start having a fit!!! :D

sl8tr

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen
The only thing we can't do is watch nature shows on the big HD TV. They see the animals and start having a fit!!! :D
I know what you mean. If I sit down with a Bird Talk magazine with Slater on my shoulder and he sees a full page parrot he starts getting crazy-lol

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Oh if I'm watching stuff on the computer of birds Chiquita watched and freaks out like crazy. She will sit at the back of my chair and scream at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.