• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Turtles as Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Hi All, just want to hear from anyone here that has pet turtles? I want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Do they make good pets? Which is the best species to get? Maintainance etc. I have done some google searching but it is very confusing and time consuming so I would come to people I trust for the real picture. I currently have a 4ft aqaurium with 5 fish in it (my friend will re-home them) and was thinking of making it into a turtle home. Steve, I saw your name on one of the forums I ran into, (yes you, there were pics of Danny and Elmo), you cant hide from me, I will track you down LOL. What would you recommend. Remember, guys, I want honesty.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
bumping this up for you - the only turtles we have had have come from the lake/bay, etc and I don't think that is what you are looking for :)

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I mean... I never had turtles OUTRIGHT but I rescued one from a really terrible situation and learned a bit during the two weeks I kept it before finding it a better home. It was your typical aquatic red-eared slider. Its owner had been a girl who bought it and left it in a filthy plastic tank filled with brackish, putrid-smelling water. :( She moved to Italy for college and left it in her room under her desk IN THE DARK. Her parents fed it "every couple of weeks." :eek: I couldn't even believe it was still alive. I don't know much about turtles, but I know you don't treat them like that!

I know they require a very involved environment. They've very stinky (I'd never want one)--you need a special water filter and they need a sandy/pebbly area to sun themselves (not sure what wattage light is best). I briefly contemplated building a habitat in my family's pond, but with the cold weather they advise having an indoor enclosure for the winter which wouldn't work. There's a ratio to the size of turtle and the size of tank. I think the little one I had (it fit comfortably in my palm) needed, like, a 30 gallon tank? They grow a lot.

I know I found a lot of helpful turtle forums through Google. I personally would never want another aquatic creature--I had fish for years and just got sick of cleaning the tank all the time (and the filters)... also did I mention this little guy was stinky? I will say, if you do get a turtle please PLEASE adopt. I remember calling rescue after rescue while trying to place this turtle and they were FULL UP of these red eared sliders. Kids buy them when they're cute, cheap, tiny babies and then quickly grow bored of them.

Sorry--maybe not the most informative, but it's what I remember from my turtle adventure two years ago.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
TURTLES are HORRIBLE PETS. They make good pond animals. Now tortoises are land animals and wouldn't have to be stuck in an aquarium their entire life and can safely come out. They are uniqu animals. Fun to watch them eat and dig. But they sleep for the most part. What makes you interested in one?

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
I am a bit like Laura. I have had tropical fish for years and they arent exactly the longest living pets. I had a tank with 20 odd fish (about 6mths ago) and now down to five. You have to clean the tank/filter every two weeks, you have to clean it again if a fish dies.
Replacing fish is quite expensive. We want something a little more long lived. I dont mind the cleaning - hey, I have 4 bird cages, 2 rabbit hutches and a rabbit run, the fish tank. We have not made a decision, just looking into it to see if this is right for us, getting as much info as possible before we decide. Plus I think they are so cute, but it needs to be a fit for this house.

jeme3

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
I have two 30 year old red eared sliders in a pond outside. I've had them since they were hatchlings the size of a quarter with their egg tooth still attached. They are now a good 11 or 12 inches across.

Turtles are very cool, just a whole lot of work. They are very messy, can be smelly, and can carry diseases like salmonella.

If you want to keep them in an aquarium inside, I recommend a bare aquarium (no gravel- becomes a nightmare to clean very quickly) filled about half full with water. They need a place to be able to get out of the water and dry off completely- a shelf or pile of big, smooth rocks.

Filtration needs to be way more than what you would have for fish. I like Aquaclear hang on the back filters. Get the biggest one you can, should be rated for an aquarium larger than what you have.

Light is critical. They need UV even more than our birds do.

Inside the house you probably don't need to worry about heat, they should be fine.

Some people keep a smaller aquarium as a feed in tank and put them in it to feed and move them back to the main tank after they poop, but I have never done that. Then you have two tanks to keep clean.

The water and filter medium will need to be changed often- maybe a few times a week.

Always always always wash your hands really well with soap and hot water after touching the turtles or their water.

Red eared sliders are carnivorous when smaller, and need more and more vegetable matter as they get larger. I feed Tetra Reptomin as a basic diet and supplement with snails and bugs from the yard and spinach, chard, kale, and aquarium plants.

I moved my turtles outside when they were about 5 years old and around 4 inches. They are now in a 150 gallon horse trough with a pond filter and a nice pile of rocks in our enclosed atrium (raccoons, opossums, birds of prey, dogs and cats can be a problem).

In the summer, we change the water and rinse the filter about once a week. In the winter (October through about right now), they don't really eat, so I just change the water every now and then. It doesn't get cold enough here for them to truly hibernate, but they do slow way down.

I don't know what kind of turtles you have available for pets in Australia, and red eared sliders are the only ones I have experience with. They are interesting creatures and cool pets, but are A LOT of work, and they live as long as big parrots (my daughter has said she will take them if they are still around when I die- I'm 50 now, so no telling who will go first, me or the turtles, lol).

I have also had aquariums since I was 12. I have had fish that lived for years and years (11 years for one clown loach, lost him due to a severe power outage last fall). If you are loosing fish at the rate you mention, a couple things come to mind...

Every two weeks is probably NOT often enough for water changes. I change 50% of the water once a week (85 gallon tank- 60x18x18), and rinse the filter medium. You should never have to change all the water. Learn and understand the nitrogen cycle. Get a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites- without this you are guessing. Natural, biological filtration takes awhile to establish in the aquarium, but once it's working maintenance becomes pretty routine.

Make sure the fish you have a re compatible and not stressing each other out, don't over crowd, and don't add too many fish too quickly.

I keep the water temperature between 78 and 80 degrees (Fahrenheit), which is warmer than generally recommended, but over the years I've learned it works better.

I hope there is something useful in this long post!

Luvmyfidz

Sprinting down the street
Jeme3 gave a great insight into keeping turtles. We had a red-ear slider for many years. He was happy to live in my son's room in an aquarium. We got him when he was the size of a loonie (1" approx.) & lived for about 9 years. We had 2 filters running at all times as they are incredibly dirty!! Can't stress that enough. But with the 2 filters, we did ok. He got a couple of eye infections so I gambled with my son's antibiotic eye drops (we have no reptile vet anywhere near us) & it worked marvellously! He was pretty hardy....we had tried the little aquatic frogs & lost 5 in about 3 months so we searched long and hard for a turtle. Many years ago they were readily available but not anymore. Salmonella is also something to consider when owning a pet turtle. We never allowed our son to handle him without supervision, then ensured proper hand washing. I honestly think they make great & unusual pets that are pretty simple to care for if you are willing to put forth the effort required. The tortoise is really cool, too but very expensive. Hope that helps!! Good luck!!:D

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
I have 3 red ear sliders.We got them month and a half ago.They now know us when we come close to the tank they run(swim) to us,they know we are going to feed them.I keep the food(shrimp) and they stretch to get it from me.They are cool but really stinky.They need regular cleaning and as everyone mention the salmonella is to watch for! Always wash you hands nicely after touching anything in contact with them.
My kids give them funny names:the biggest one is Giant,the smallest of them is sleepy(he sleeps a lot) and the tied one is Awesome.They play with them sometime but I'm alway like a hawk around them so they do not forget to wash the hand!
They need a lo cleaning and you have to be ready for the big work around them.I wash everything in the aquarium-the stones,the platforms,the bridge and the aquarium it self with the filter.They need light ad place to stay out if the water.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5hzg03
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
Thanks guys for your honesty. This is why I dislike google, when I searched, you really only read the 'great' things about turtles. Yes, it did mention the cleaning, but what you guys tell me is 'regular cleaning' means daily. After mush discussion with hubby, have decided that the CUTE little Turtle is not for us. What I really do worry about with an 8yo son, is the salmonella (young boys and handwashing dont always go together). So thanks, but no thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.