• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to Understand My Bird's Behavior!

AthenaDreaming

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah Glenn
Hi all!

First time bird owner of a two-month-old Bourke's parakeet here. In the week we've had him so far, our little Bourke, Castle, has a very healthy appetite. We were able to teach him step up already, bring him out of the cage on our fingers without a problem, and are able to pet him a bit (he's not the biggest fan of petting, but tolerates some; he'd rather just sit on our hand or shoulder and spend quiet time with us). He loves baths, and he likes a variety of things to eat--his seed mix, pellet berry balls, ZuPreem fruit blend. And he happily sings little songs during the day (or sometimes fusses at birds he hears outside, ha ha). He puts himself to bed around 9-10pm like a little gentleman.

However, there are a couple things he does that just baffle me! I'd love some insight so we can be better bird parents to him.

First: He ONLY eats out of one of his food dishes. He has this one perch he really likes, and next to it is a food dish. He will only take food out of that particular dish and no others. We don't get it! His cage has slots for four food dishes, so we'd initially been putting one thing in each (so pellets in one, seeds in one, veggies in one and so on). Well- he will only eat out of the food dish that sits next to his favorite perch. Doesn't matter what's in there; he'll eat anything so long as it's in that one dish. Is there any way to make him realize he has multiple dishes so he'll actually get all his foods without me having to switch out what's in the one dish all the time?

Second: He sometimes does this thing we don't understand where he's in his cage, hops to the bottom floor and runs back and forth along the bottom of the cage like a madman. It's maybe twice a day that he does this, but we don't get what it's about at all. Just burning off some excess energy? Something he spots out the living room windows exciting him?

Third: After sitting on our hand/shoulder for a while, he seems to get bored and decides to fly to the floor to run around, where he eventually scares himself (so we gently, slowly scoop him up). What's going through his little birdie brain?

Last: He does this really funny thing sometimes where he'll be perched on our fingers, looking at us, and he starts bobbing his head all around. What does it mean? Is he trying to be playful? Or is it something else?

Thank you so much in advance for any insights :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The bobbing his head around could well mean that he is hungry. Are you still giving him hand feedings.

As for the other activity, I have no idea other than he is a young bird and full of energy.

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Second: He sometimes does this thing we don't understand where he's in his cage, hops to the bottom floor and runs back and forth along the bottom of the cage like a madman. It's maybe twice a day that he does this, but we don't get what it's about at all. Just burning off some excess energy? Something he spots out the living room windows exciting him?
I know this all too well, it is a behavior I see alllllll the time in my tiel. It simply means "I WANT OUT! PLAY WITH ME!"

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
I am the furthest thing from a bird expert but he sounds like he is adorable. In time, you will get better at understanding his behavior and Hank Macaw and Peppy gave some very plausible reasons. Keep us posted an we crave and love pictures! Thanks

AthenaDreaming

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah Glenn
Thanks, all! :) I've been a dog person my whole life, but birds are so new to me and I'm still getting to know their body language, signals, etc!

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
I don't know if bourkes do this, but my conures bob their heads when they are happy or want something. The only time the bobbing was for handfeeding formula was when one of my babies reverted and needed to be handfed again. But the bobbing was accompanied by wings flapping and the little baby bird noises.

Running back and forth along the bottom of the cage means they want out. Olive used to do this when she was in her quarantine cage.

The rest of it seems like Castle is just burning energy.

Hope this helped.
Good luck!

alicat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ali
Running back and forth does mean out. One of my lovebirds and my tiel do it!
That's all I know out of your questions :p

Are all your food dishes at the same height? I've heard birds will prefer to eat from the highest food source.. not sure if it's true but you could try to put a dish higher than his favorite one?