• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trying to decide on a new humidifier (help please)

quietsloth

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
I think I posted in the right thread if not sorry
My humidifier broke this week at the worst possible time(humidity is in the 30's and my bird is 6 months clean of harming his feathers) I found a few options but I'm unsure of which one to pick. I like cool mist because I don't have to worry about teflon/ptfe but I think I would like warm mist better because in the winter it wouldn't be making my room cold.
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Humidifiers-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-Customized/dp/B08B3YGP2V (I contacted them and they said'' This product doesn't have PTFEs and PFOAs. The main material is ABS'')
https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-Humid...CXV6X11Y1AC&psc=1&refRID=66J9C1RE9CXV6X11Y1AC (I haven't heard back from them yet)

If anyone has any other options I would appreciate it too. I would like to spend under $100

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
have you had an ultrasonic humidifier before?
If you have hard water I don't recommend it.
I tried one but even with the disc that is supposed to absorb minerals etc, it coated everything in the room with white dust. I tried it for 2 weeks (changed disc twice) and gave it away.
anyway I think they'd all be OK. Keep in mind that using cool water option you will really need to keep it extremely clean or else you will be blasting bacteria and fungus into the air. Some offer UV sterilization of water to prevent that.

quietsloth

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
have you had an ultrasonic humidifier before?
If you have hard water I don't recommend it.
I tried one but even with the disc that is supposed to absorb minerals etc, it coated everything in the room with white dust. I tried it for 2 weeks (changed disc twice) and gave it away.
anyway I think they'd all be OK. Keep in mind that using cool water option you will really need to keep it extremely clean or else you will be blasting bacteria and fungus into the air. Some offer UV sterilization of water to prevent that.
I have hard water so I was going to use distilled water. My previous one was a cool mist with a filter. I'll see if any of the listed ones offer uv sterilization. thank you!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use the Levoit with distilled water and like it a lot.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If you have a Brita jug you can use any of the ultrasonic humidifiers with filtered tap water. Would that open your choice a little?

quietsloth

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
If you have a Brita jug you can use any of the ultrasonic humidifiers with filtered tap water. Would that open your choice a little?
I have a brita filter so that works better than going to the store and getting distilled. I guess as long as I keep it clean I shouldn't be spreading any mold/bacteria.

quietsloth

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer

Is it easy to clean? I was going to do weekly deep cleanings with vinegar. I also read something about grape seed being good for cleaning and it being bird safe.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Using distilled water, the clean up is simple washing.

quietsloth

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
levoit got back to me and said”Our air humidifiers do contain Teflon. We would not recommend bird owners to purchase as this will not benefit the birds. “ so I guess cool mist with ultrasonic is gonna be the way to go

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
levoit got back to me and said”Our air humidifiers do contain Teflon. We would not recommend bird owners to purchase as this will not benefit the birds. “ so I guess cool mist with ultrasonic is gonna be the way to go
Things must gave changed

quietsloth

Moving in
Real Name
Jennifer
Things must gave changed
i think so too because i went back in my emails and saw a year ago they told me there was no teflon products in it

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For future reference, response to my email.

Hello,

Yes, the atomization chip and heating element of the LV600HH contains Teflon. We hope this helps, and are happy to assist if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,
Jubilee (Levoit)

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just for future reference if members do a search for Levoit I wanted to update my last correspondence with them. I asked them if ANY of their humidifiers were teflon free.

Hello Karen,

Thank you for contacting our team. All of our humidifiers contain Teflon. We hope this information is helpful!

Please let us know if you have any questions. Have a great day!
Best Regards,
Luisa

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor

I Asked and got answers that all levoit except the one with cool mist contains Teflon coated heating elements.
I was about to order the same. So I asked.
Now I'm asking if it gets hoter then "260 degrees Celsius" (the temperature where coating begins to evaporate and can harm birds).

Just so you know I'll post the ansure here!

Attachments

Kile

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kile
I think I posted in the right thread if not sorry
My humidifier broke this week at the worst possible time(humidity is in the 30's and my bird is 6 months clean of harming his feathers) I found a few options but I'm unsure of which one to pick. I like cool mist because I don't have to worry about teflon/ptfe but I think I would like warm mist better because in the winter it wouldn't be making my room cold.
https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Humidifiers-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-Customized/dp/B08B3YGP2V (I contacted them and they said'' This product doesn't have PTFEs and PFOAs. The main material is ABS'')
https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-Humid...CXV6X11Y1AC&psc=1&refRID=66J9C1RE9CXV6X11Y1AC (I haven't heard back from them yet)

If anyone has any other options I would appreciate it too. I would like to spend under $100
I have used the taotronics ultrasonic humidifier you linked for a couple weeks now and I have not had issues with my birds either on the warm or cool mist settings. Don’t credit me though, because I haven’t used it very long. So far I don’t believe I have had white dust issues (though I am pretty sure we do not have hard water, we use water softeners). They told you they do not use teflon, correct? I tried sending a message on their website a while back and did not get an answer. I will feel a lot better knowing for sure it does not use teflon. :sigh:

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
I have used the taotronics ultrasonic humidifier you linked for a couple weeks now and I have not had issues with my birds either on the warm or cool mist settings. Don’t credit me though, because I haven’t used it very long. So far I don’t believe I have had white dust issues (though I am pretty sure we do not have hard water, we use water softeners). They told you they do not use teflon, correct? I tried sending a message on their website a while back and did not get an answer. I will feel a lot better knowing for sure it does not use teflon. :sigh:
I'm starting tu suspect that all humidifiers have Teflon-coated elements. The one that say no are not aware of it.

Teflon becomes dangerous at 260°C (500°F), when it evaporate. My suspicion is that the mist never allows the element to get up to that temperature or even without mist for that matter. I am investigating..

Kile

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kile
I'm starting tu suspect that all humidifiers have Teflon-coated elements. The one that say no are not aware of it.

Teflon becomes dangerous at 260°C (500°F), when it evaporate. My suspicion is that the mist never allows the element to get up to that temperature or even without mist for that matter. I am investigating..
I do wonder if it is even a problem with humidifiers because I doubt the water gets hot enough for that. I think it only boils it, and water boils at 100°C. Not entirely sure though.

Azor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Azor
I do wonder if it is even a problem with humidifiers because I doubt the water gets hot enough for that. I think it only boils it, and water boils at 100°C. Not entirely sure though.
Humidifiers use high frequency soundwaves to "agitate" water/liquid. This makes the vapor. The vapur pases through the element that heats up the droplets.

This is where the problem can arise.
The old school humidifiers use heat and yes as long the contact is with water it will not produce any harmful fumes.