• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trimming parrots beaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Charles had a beak accident in which the lower mandible was split in half, which now causes his upper mandible to overgrow. I have to have his beak trimmed regularly now, but I would never do it myself-- I take him to the vet.

Tarax

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Tara
I would never do it myself either just was watching some videos on training parrots and i came across this. I was a little surprised :p

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
I actually did this to Amos back in February. I had a expert bird handler teach me how to do it. I only took off a very small area of the tip and then made sure it was smooth and rounded somewhat.
I'm going to have Gryphon's done next month, but I will have someone else do his.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Really depends on the parrot. A lot will never ever need their beaks trimmed. Usually, an overgrown beak is a sign of other underlying problems-- typically nutrition related. Too many synthetic vitamins (Vitamin A especially) is a common cause, and I believe that sometimes liver issues can be as well.

For Charles, it's not nutrition but rather his physical accident, and in his case he needs a trim about once a month. I know people who do it as often as every 2 weeks and some only twice a year and others never in a lifetime.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I trimmed Ruby's beak only once because she chipped it on a toy and left a tiny horizontal split right on the tip that was bothering her and snagging strands of sisal rope in it.

Sailor's Mom

Well, I wouldn't personally do it myself but if I knew what I was doing, I don't think there is a problem with it. I'm not sure a "how to" video is the correct way to learn but she did state that you should have someone experianced help you in learning it. :)

Joey

Hit the Road
i've never had it done to any bird and i wouldn't do it myself. it really depends on the bird too. usually they don't really
need trimming because they take care of their beaks when they chew around and stuff, but if they injure their beak
then sometimes they need to get it trimmed.

Tarax

Real Name
Tara
Lol i didnt mean i was going to do it myself i just came across the video and was a little surprised :p
It just seemed odd to me at the time but now i understand [:

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I had a lil budige whose beak I had to trim because of liver problems. It grew SO fast!

Of my currents, only Petey and Tango have had it done once due to accidents. If they're healthy and have wood and toys to chew, they should take care of it themselves :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My Sunshine mangled the beaks of two of my cockatiels. One never grew back more than enough to allow her to eat on her own. The other bird, Benny, needs overgrowth removed every two weeks because his mandible and maxilla no longer touch. The vet showed me how to clip it with a toenail clipper and I do so on schedule for him. If any of my other birds needed beak work, I would take them to my AV.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
My job is bird grooming, I typically do parrot beaks once every 3 months, It depends in if there are breaks or not though, a split/chipped beak can cause a lot of problems, and should be fixed right away, but some birds never chip their beaks so it never needs to be done. Really depends on the bird. I trim Odin's beak once a year because she has a softer bill and she can chip it pretty bad on the bottom part of her mandible sometimes. I never have to file the top, she keeps it well done herself with toys. My others do not chip their beaks and it never needs filing.

Zoso

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Bob
My Zazu has a malformed beak and it has to be trimmed once a month or so. I watched a professional do it the first time and then I did it myself, with the help of my daughter holding. For those of you that don't know, Zazu is an 11 month old Timneh African Grey. She doesn't mind getting her beak or nails trimmed at all. (So I do both now). I have never had to towell her and she has never bit or "bit at" anyone. Now if only I could her not to poop on me!

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Really depends on the parrot. A lot will never ever need their beaks trimmed. Usually, an overgrown beak is a sign of other underlying problems-- typically nutrition related. Too many synthetic vitamins (Vitamin A especially) is a common cause, and I believe that sometimes liver issues can be as well.
Liver issues are one common cause, as is malnutrition- that is correct, but it's actually hypovitaminosis A, too little A that causes it, not too much. :) Anything that causes the beak's shape to be abnormal can mean beak trims are mandatory as well. Normal, healthy birds with normal beaks should never need beak trims.

parrothelp

Meeting neighbors
I have several birds that need period beak trims.. Miss Emma goes in every 4 weeks, the others less often. Emma was improperly hand fed, so she has a major scissors beak issue going on. I won't do her beak myself, though I have ground down the high side of the lower beak if I can't get her to the vet. But, I will do my best friends b&g macaw who has exactly the same condition, and the same growth in the same places. Strange, huh? I'll do his bird, that hates me, but I won't do my own bird :)

I've actually started taking people I trust with me for beak trims, so they can learn. I do a an unfortunate number of beak trims, but I've been instructed by my vet, as has my partner in crime (err. rescue)

I'd never trim based on a u tube video..you really need to see, in person, what happens. Especially if you have to trim the underside of the upper beak. If the underside of the upper beak needs to be trimmed, we make a vet appt... ONLY because I've seen my own bird bleed from upper beak trimming too many times...I'm not talking about the long part, I'm talking about where the lower mandible meets the upper. Not something an untrained person should be doing, period.

wendy

Status
Not open for further replies.