• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trimming my conure's beak?

leeflaa

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi all! First time post.

So I have a conure, Jack, who broke about 50% of his top beak and as such we take him to his vet monthly for bottom beak trims. For some time I've been thinking about doing the trims myself and recently have really wanted to do that more. Primarily this is because every year the vet fees go up: the first year is was $95; the second year it was $112; and now it's shot up to $140/month. Plus I've been laid off. So i can't imagine what next year will look like.

Even still, if need be I will pay it to ensure my boy has the best care. I'm ok with that, and I can also shop around--though I really like this vet. However, I have a dremmel and am also willing to try. In that respect at his appointment yesterday I asked about it to his vet and they were quite discouraging about it--which, to be honest, I can't blame them, I'm sure they see all sorts of things from people doing things wrong and hurting their pets.

My other worry is that honestly it's a very stressful process for Jack, and I don't really know if it's sustainable long-term.

So I guess what I'm asking is this...does anyone have experience with beak trimming? Is it something one can do at home? I've included a pic for reference.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let me tag @Mizzely and @webchirp they each have a flock member that needs beak trims.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welave:
Hi!
What a cute birdie Jack is !!!

I'm definitely thinking you will be able to learn the skills and bring that down from monthly to maybe a check in with vet twice a year or yearly to confirm all good . Oh the read how vet wasn't supportive..a little surprising..and that's a hefty fee for an established problem that's coming in monthly...I honestly couldn't pay it ...

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is something you could probably learn to do; I'm sure you're vets hesitation is because there's a lot of nerves and blood supply in the beak!

The thing I would ask yourself though, is if you're willing to be the "bad guy". If it's something he hates, then it could potentially affect your relationship.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Maui’s (and lately Bitty) have an issue with bottom beak overgrowth and Julip has a scissor beak. Dr. Orosz has taught me how to trim, flush nares, give shots and subq fluids over the years. But for beaks, I use nail clippers from side to side to trip down the growth and then a dremel to smooth things.