• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trimming canary nails

tweetsybird2

Checking out the neighborhood
My canary's nails are REALLY long and overgrown, but I am afraid to cut her nails because she never sits still, and is also very uncomfortable about being held, which is also why I don't want to catch her in order to take her to the vet. Are there any other ways that I can trim my canary's nails? Thanks.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
If you aren't comfortable doing this then take her to the vet and let them do it, pay close attention and watch each step let the vet show you how to hold the bird and clip the nails. It's not hard to do, after this vet trip you might feel like you can do this on your own next time.

I cut Mr Peepers nails when its needed easily using nail clippers that fit comfortably in my hand. I have a septic powder close by if I cut too close but I've never had that problem and I have a good light handy so you can see the quick of the nail easily.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You or someone else must hold her, their is no other options.
If you take your bird to an avian vet they know how stressful this is to small birds and can do it quickly.
The other option is that a avian vet come to you.

pajarita

Walking the driveway
If her nails are so long, she might have a bit of a liver issue unless the perches are all wrong. I only trim the nails of the canaries I am going to be breeding so the male can cover the hen properly (he needs to grab the feathers on her back) and the hen doesn't throw the babies out of the nest by accident (if the nails are long/sharp and they get tangled up in nesting material, a baby might end up been 'carried' out when she goes out the nest to poop, eat, drink and bathe in the morning). Otherwise, they don't really need it.

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
I do my canary's nails. It takes awhile to catch him and Ii usually end up taking out perches. make sure all doors and windows are closed especially doors to other rooms in case he wriggles free. Be carefull and look for the vein that runs down the nail and do not clip that. Definitely a good light is needed. Try to work quickly and you don't need a towel. My guy acts like he is mad at me after it's done LOL and sulks but gets over it quickly. Also hold firmly;don't squeeze. The above video is very good

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
I don't know how this works for others who clip their canaries nails but when I hold my canaries they automatically wrap their feet around one of my fingers, so it's like they are perching on my finger when they do this I can safely move my finger slightly while raising the longest nail needing clipped and snip it, easily.

I have even clipped one of my budgies nails while it sits on its perch its similar to how I clip the canaries nails.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
To make it easier:
Make a mental note of where your bird is in the cage. Turns the lights off so it is very dark, and grab her. They cant see very well in the dark.

When holding her, put a very thin cloth over her head- again, it creates darkness. Trim less than you think you should, and then you can always buy a pedicure perch to place in the cage afterwards. I dont leave pedicure perches in the cage at all times, but once and awhile does no harm and really softens to sharp corners of trimmed nails.